Anyone interested in this 57 Scotsman? Cheap I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone interested in this 57 Scotsman? Cheap I think

Had a phone call today re the Scotsman shown in the photos below. Estate situation, seller just wanting to see if anyone would give more that scrap price to save it? Located in Ont just north of International Falls, MN. Canadian built. Actually the body shows no rust through. If interested contact Kelley at: kelleymorrell@hotmail.com His email to me as follows:

Here are some better shots. 68000 miles. Engine not seized.Grill in back seat. Seat cover protected the front seats but back seats and parcel shelf are a mess. little rust, steers, rolls and shifts.

A lot more scarce than a '31 President roadster...and a lot cheaper! R. Quinn

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2773.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1744603Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2775.JPG
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1744604Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2777.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1744605Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2774.JPG
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1744606Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05392.JPG
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1744607
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

The price is more than fair.

Comment

By golly that IS rare, it's actually a '58 2 Door Sedan! AND Canadian Built! Note the flat roof and no fender vent doors, also the larger Radio opening, requiring a new dash Top for '58 Scotsman only, because of the small '56 Cyclops Eye Speedometer.

That's a trivia I never thought about before, another too expensive change to save a Buck! Good plan... spent 10 Dollars to save a Buck!
      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-26-2014, 11:05 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

...and they sprung for an optional oil bath air cleaner but didn't order an oil filter. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

looking at picture 2, I'm not sure how the driver's door will close with the window frame being above the drip rail. I thought it was just perspective, but the pic is shot from in front of, but above the door. What is the scrap value exactly? $400?
          sigpic
          JohnP, driving & reviving
          60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
            The price is more than fair.

Really? What would that price be?

Very tempting... thankfully for me way too far away though.Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1691908
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Now that you mention it. I think maybe that is a wagon door,and they are about 5/8"-3/4' too tall in the upper rear corner.
              Originally posted by allstateguy View Post
              looking at picture 2, I'm not sure how the driver's door will close with the window frame being above the drip rail. I thought it was just perspective, but the pic is shot from in front of, but above the door. What is the scrap value exactly? $400?
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                Now that you mention it. I think maybe that is a wagon door,and they are about 5/8"-3/4' too tall in the upper rear corner.
                It's more about the shape, really.
                Wagons angle back~ like a Champ truck- the sedans don't.
                I have one of each (sedan/wagon) sitting nose to nose in my shop as I type...

StudeDave '57
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Dave, you best check again. a 59,60 lark 4 door sedan front door will fit a Champ truck.I once took a door shell from a 62 Lark 4 dr. sedan and put a n.o.s. door skin I ordered for My Champ - and walla it all fit.now I can't say for sure,but I doubt the angle is different " between wagons and sedans. but you get the tape measure out and see the rear door window frame is in fact higher.
                  Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                  It's more about the shape, really.
                  Wagons angle back~ like a Champ truck- the sedans don't.
                  I have one of each (sedan/wagon) sitting nose to nose in my shop as I type...

StudeDave '57
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I just measured a Champ truck door and a 62 4dr. wagon door "I think 62 only based on the flat upper corner with no body line" but maybe 61 also? and the tape measure + 4 ft. level give Me equal specs give or take maybe 1/8",and that should be due to door skin to shell oops from assembly.hard to believe 2 dr. wagons would have a different angle,but We know that the height is 3/4" more,now if Studebaker did what I think Rambler did,then all doors would be the same upper frame and the roof would make the change for rear cargo head room.
                    Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                    Dave, you best check again. a 59,60 lark 4 door sedan front door will fit a Champ truck.I once took a door shell from a 62 Lark 4 dr. sedan and put a n.o.s. door skin I ordered for My Champ - and walla it all fit.now I can't say for sure,but I doubt the angle is different " between wagons and sedans. but you get the tape measure out and see the rear door window frame is in fact higher.
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I spent way more time on this then I should have.
                      At this point I am going to call it a draw.

I am looking at my 1957 Studebakers. They are 'basically' the same as a '58 Scotsman.
                      One is a Parkview (a 2 door wagon) and one is a Commander two door sedan.
                      For kicks I also took a look at Dad's 1960 Champ.
                      Here are the pics~

Name:	DSCN1840.jpg
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1691912Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1843.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1691914

Name:	DSCN1841.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1691915 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1844.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1691916

Name:	DSCN1850.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1691917 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1851.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1691918

You are right about using a four door door on a Champ.
                      The two door doors I measured were longer then the one on the Champ.
                      Same goes for the wagon being taller then the sedan.
                      But the Champ is the same as the sedan.
                      Also be sure to note the shape of the doors at the rear corner.

What does all of this mean? Good question.
                      I might be more confused now then I was before.
                      You're looking at Larks and I am not.
                      Maybe that's got something to do with it?

Hopefully someone might go check out this 1958 Scotsman.
                      Hopefully they attempt to close the door and it fits.
                      Hopefully they save it, or at least keep it from the crusher for a bit.
                      All I know is that I am done trying to figure any of this door stuff out.

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Dave, you're saying the 2dr. is higher than the champ door "by how much" I can't even read your tape measure due too distance ? but that's not gonna show rear ANGLE specs,and that's the main question here - that's where the tape measure and a 4 foot level come in handy and only take about 10 seconds to check.remember I used a 62 Lark door shell on a Champ truck,so at least to a point this does include Larks.and for what it's worth,your method of measuring for height may likely not be as accurate as how I measured the heights.
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

one last post on this...

This is a PERFECT example of why I post here less and less.

I spent over 1/2 an hour taking photos, downloading photos, posting photos, and typing words which never got looked at or read. If you can't take five minutes to read what I wrote or open the photos (hint- click them two or three times- they are HUGE!!!) then I can't take any more time to answer your questions or explain what you didn't even look at.

Now I am done.
                          Have a nice day.

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

Dave,you need to READ what I said above in the first place.you give up to easy in your confusion,shame We're not 5 minutes away I'd bring my trusty tape and a straight edge and school ya
                            Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                            This is a PERFECT example of why I post here less and less.

I spent over 1/2 an hour taking photos, downloading photos, posting photos, and typing words which never got looked at or read. If you can't take five minutes to read what I wrote or open the photos (hint- click them two or three times- they are HUGE!!!) then I can't take any more time to answer your questions or explain what you didn't even look at.

Now I am done.
                            Have a nice day.

StudeDave '57
                            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

well, I emailed the guy....see what he says, my only hang up is getting that Maple Leaf to South Chicago....transportation costs suck....let alone I'l guessing the car could be had for under a grand....Thanks for the great pictures, and the heads up....Going to build my Drag Car one of these days....

Comment

Working...
                              X