Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Memories Of Studebaker Plant

Comment

I have never been back to the "old home place".
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Yep, from Automobile Quarterly http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=1971+miller

Craig

Comment

Boy does that bring back memories, started buying parts from SASCO and NA Standard Surplus in the late 60s to restore cars and trucks. All of the factory was still intact, it seems like every trip back to South Bend one more building or more were down but it took about 15 yrs to get most of it leveled. I also restore and knew many from Allis Chalmers in West Allis, WI and when sold to Deutz in 85 most of AC was leveled by 87. Don't ever complain about Stude parts being hard to get, Deutz destroyed most of the parts and stock of the 70 and 80 series so parts from 1973 forward parts get very hard to find. All machining and presses were torched for scrap in 86 &87.
          I am a real winner, I picked two companies that were way ahead of their time. But I will keep restoring both. I guess I like the challenge!

Comment

I remember riding along with Mom, dropping Dad off at the plant when her car was in the shop in the early fifties. Running under the bridge that went across and the brick streets nearby. It was a big exciting place. We lived out on Mayflower road to the southwest in Greene township.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

That building shown in the photos, sure looks like the engineering building, which of late housed SASCO. It was later torn down.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Man I'd love to go roaming around those buildings again.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

I took a road trip to Chicago to visit family in 1971.
                  I spent a day on a side trip to South Bend, what a day I had!
                  Wish I had thought to bring a camera. I roamed all around the plant, cars and parts laying around.
                  There were even some Packards about. Remember peering into windows and seeing partial cars inside.
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I'd love to have that 'dream or concept car' in the beginning of this thread. It looks very dusty and unwanted.
                    JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                      That building shown in the photos, sure looks like the engineering building, which of late housed SASCO. It was later torn down. Rog
                      Correct, Roger; the Building in Post #2 is the former Engineering Building, last used to house the reincarnated SASCO.

In Post #1, the building in the lower right appears to be the backside of the original Studebaker Surplus, later the first location of SASCO before SASCO moved across the street to the Engineering Bldg. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was always amazed by the over head conveyor from the sixth floor of the body plant, crossed Sample St. and went over a quarter of a mile to drop the bodies on the right chassis which is shown in the first pictures.

Comment

Bob,
                          One more question: Was the terra cotta Studebaker logo ever saved from the top of the engineering building?
                          I sure hope so. If it was saved, where would it be now? I know a lot of questions.
                          Rog
                          Smithtown,NY

Comment

Yes, It's in the Museum now and when we were doing the last tour through the Engineering Building it was found that the Studebaker script was brass. I'm sure that would have disappeared long ago if known.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up.
                              Rog
                              Smithtown,NY

Comment

Working...
                              X