help with O/D cable install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: help with O/D cable install

I've put the right T96 O/D trans in the Scotsman. Have the shift and clutch linkages hooked up and operational.

Put an O/D cable in, bracket properly mounted under the dash

BUT . . . what holds the outer cable sheath when you pull the handle? I can't find anything to secure it on or around the transmission, can't find any picture in any of the manuals I have, can't find any reference to it in the parts book.

Right now, when I pull the handle, the sheath takes up the distance to the lever on the trans, but doesn't move the lever. I know how cables work, and would gladly put something down there to hold it, but would like to use the right piece, in the right place. HELP!!
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

On the clutch/thrust bearing shaft, where the grease zerk is, on the side of the bellhousing, there is a small bracket that has a clamp on it. It is held in place by the bolt that holds the shaft. If you don't have it you could make one. That is what was on the T-96 OD equipped Larks I have seen. Some a slightly different but it is needed to hold the cable outer sheath so the cable can do it's work.

So yes, there is bracket but I have no idea what part number would be for your car. I have numbers for later Larks, Hawks etc... but no vendor has them that I have seen. That is not to say they don't have them. A phone call could sort that out. I will do a but more digging and see if I have a photo or more details for you.

Len.

Comment

Here you go.

Zoom in on the clutch shaft and you can see the bracket I mentioned. For different models it could be smaller.

Len.

Comment

wow! Thank you very much! there is nothing like that on my car at the moment, but at least I know where it goes now.
        sigpic
        JohnP, driving & reviving
        60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Working...
        X