No announcement yet.

OD Solenoids..... 6V vs. 12V.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: OD Solenoids..... 6V vs. 12V.....

My '53 2R6 has been changed to 12V. Nice job. The OD wires were disconnected and there is nothing on the firewall (e.g. switch, relay, etc.). I did pull the solenoid from the tranny: it is a 2 wire unit that worked with a brief 12V test. I have no idea of the governor, tho the wire is good and connected to the cut out switch. I have a complete setup from a '62 Lark (6cyl) with good wiring, switch, solenoid, etc. I'd like to swap in the later setup in the older truck. The truck tranny is a T86. The Lark was a T96. Can I simply swap in all the '62 OD stuff from the firewall to the tranny and "go" ? I asked in another OD thread if the kickdown switches were the same for the different eras. In terms of voltage, will the 6V governor mind being 12V ? Are the 2 OD units able to accept either governor ? The truck tranny is 4.55, I think the Lark was 4.27 or 4.56......

Can I simply swap in all the '62 OD stuff from the firewall to the tranny and "go" ?

Yes.

Automotive switches do not care about the voltage. The 6 volt governor, the lockout switch if there is one, and the kick down switch will all work on 12 volts.

The relay, if there is one, and the solenoid need to be changed to the 12 volt models. The 12 volt solenoid will bolt right into the transmission.

You might want to take the governor off, open it up and see if it is filled with oil. If so, clean it out and burnish the contacts.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

... funny thing today I realized that the 12V conversion stayed (+) positive ground. I guess for the dash gauges this makes sense. Now I need to ask about the solenoid ? Does it matter the polarity ?

Comment

If the solenoid only has two terminals, it must be a '64>. The number on the cover might be 1539359?
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

where is the best place to get a 12 solenoid from?

Comment

Dwain: Do you mean the 2-wire solenoid on my '53 truck is not from that era/6V ?? I don't know, that's why I ask. I'm trying to find out what changes were made to this truck over the past 60 years....I found out yesterday it doesn't have the original brakes/components...

Comment

There is no polarity on a solenoid, it is an electromagnet plain and simple. The slug of iron being acted upon has no polarity so it doesn't care. If it was acting on another magnet, or electromagnet, then it would matter.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                Dwain: Do you mean the 2-wire solenoid on my '53 truck is not from that era/6V ?? I don't know, that's why I ask. I'm trying to find out what changes were made to this truck over the past 60 years....I found out yesterday it doesn't have the original brakes/components...
                Yes, all the previous solenoids had three terminals. They changed to two terminals in 1964.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I've got my 2R5 with original O.S. solenoid on 12V. Matter of fact I was told that I'd burn it all up...
                  27 years ago... I just dropped in a 12V battery and the only thing I burned up was the 6V regulator....

Even changed polarity.

I had to change the headlights as they burned out and the gas guage has never been right....

Everything else has been fine.... I did burn up a coil before I installed a resistor.... LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X