Traction bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Traction bars

How is the front end of the factory installed traction bars mounted? The 62 Gt frame that I got to replace my 64 has what looks like a shock mount welded onto the outside of the frame rail almost where the front spring mount is. Not sure if thats what this is or if its just something someone welded on there that needs to be cut back off.

This might help you out....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Deepnhock. What I have is like the front mount on post 12 by studebaker r2-4 me. It looks like a stud for a shock welded to a plate and then welded to the frame close to the front spring mount. There is no rear end in it so the mount on top of the rear end and the bar its self is not there. But after looking at that post I think I could build both of those. Not sure if that set up is a factory aftermarket peice or just something someone added on. This was a frame from a 4sp car so I can see why someone would want to put some kind of bar on it.

Comment

Is this the mount that you have welded to the 4 speed frame?

If so, all the other peices for the traction bars are available from Phil Harris

As for making up the radius bars you should note that there are slight angles in the ends to create the offset from the frame to the axle mount.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Thats just what the frame has welded to it. Only thing different is the braket that welds to the frame runs up and down on the frame not end to end.

Comment

Up and down was the way the factory put them in. It is weaker than what you see in the pics. here in #4. They get torn out easy, when you put enough power to them. Pics. later.

Comment

This car is only a 210 hp so to much power is not a problem. It's either cut them off or get the rest of the parts and leave as is.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                This car is only a 210 hp so to much power is not a problem. It's either cut them off or get the rest of the parts and leave as is.

Leave it on,... it will be there when someone wants to add another 80+ HP

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Here is the pic. I promised in #6.

[/URL]

Comment

Well as you can see from the correct Traction Bar Pics, this is a shadetree installation complete with those phony spring clamps.

It also appears this Car has 259 or Brand X Rear Brake Drums, not correct 289 Finned type used on all 289 equipped Cars and some kind of Brand "X" Rear Axle.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich; That is my old drag stocker. Been sitting since 77. This is the other side, starting to clean it up, but has the stock bracket intact.

[/URL]

Comment

Sorry Alan, I got you and swvalcon mixed up, those are great looking Urethane? Spring Bushings, are they stock for a brand X or had to be "Made"? No doubt described in a former post.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, there is a post somewhere around here about UHMW plastic. It is slightly harder than urethane but softer than nylon and not as squishy as Teflon. That is a 57-58 Ford 9" with 2" X 11" drum brakes. Converting it over to discs. The springs are from a 65-66 Dodge Ramcharger, shortened and re-rolled on the rear eye. So everything has to be custom made.

Comment

Alan,
                            That torn off mount looks like it suffered more from too much rust than too much power!
                            David L

Comment

What does the traction bars do to ride quality in the GT? I knew a guy with a 56J that had them, and it rode like a road wagon. When he took them off, it rode like a 56J again. They anchored to the bottom of the frame rail, instead of the side as this GT does.

Comment

Working...
                              X