Please help...1940 studebaker champion sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help...1940 studebaker champion sedan

I need a left rear fender and tail light for my 1940 studebaker champion 4 dr...the left rear axle broke, wheel fell off and destroyed the fender....any help directing me to where i may purchase these parts would be apprieciated...thanks tim...timlengel@msn.com[ATTACH=CONFIG]37196[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37197[/ATTACH]

You are the 2nd person I know who has lost an axle in a '40 Champion with near disastrous results. Making me nervous. See image.
    I do have a good used lr fender and also have tail light parts. Does not appear that you need a complete tail light. What is broken?

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1691813
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Tim. If anybody can help you, Richard would be the man.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

The lens is cracked ans the socket was crushed, the rear fender bracket also needs replacement...it also cracked the fuel neck out of the gas tank but i think that is repairable....funny thing is that my car has a ford 8 inch rear end and the axle broke with no warning...it was a scary ride....thanks for the quick response would you like to email me directly so we can discuss price and shipping...thanks tim

Comment

Check you part number for your rear axle ,,,,Studebaker International has a good inventory of NOS axles for some older models.

Opps....didn't see that you had a F8%D rear end before I posted.
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I recently purchased a 42 Champion Coupe, Wondering if I should put new studs on it. Is it the studs that are breaking. Seams like that size of car should of had five studs to start with. May be over reacting, but my other one is a race car with major studs on it....Thanks Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Gasserted View Post
              I recently purchased a 42 Champion Coupe, Wondering if I should put new studs on it. Is it the studs that are breaking. Seams like that size of car should of had five studs to start with. May be over reacting, but my other one is a race car with major studs on it....Thanks Ted
              It is usually the AXLE itself, not the studs that gives up. Steve
              sigpic

Comment

From the pictures, it looks like the fender could be saved by a good body man. Of course, it would save a lot of labor to have a NOS or excellent used fender to install. Hopefully, you had insurance to cover this. I am glad that you did not end up in a serious accident with this condition.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                X