Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who knows anything about the "Avanti Stinger"?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows anything about the "Avanti Stinger"?...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1969-Avanti-II-Stinger-Ad_zps14746012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1744522

I don't know what news source this came from or the date but can give an educated guess as to the time frame. It sure appears Nate Altman intended to make a special order performance Avanti. This must be dated about 1970 as that's the model year Avanti first began installing 350 engines. The "Stinger" edition refers to the "350-cubic-inch Corvette maximum performance engine" which must refer to the 370 horsepower, solid lifter LT-1 which was being installed in Corvettes and Camaros as well as over-the-counter in Chevy dealerships. The LT-1 was also introduced in the 1970 model year and ran through 1972.

I think we've all heard stories about seemingly mythical Avantis factory equipped with LT-1 engines, though I've never actually seen one or documentation for one. This may well be the evidence that LT-1 Avantis actually were built or at least were planned by Avanti Motors. Nate Altman always seemed more concerned with the whole Avanti package and less with pure performance, but this shows he wanted to build a performance version factory Avanti as well.

Were any of these Avanti Stingers ever built? I don't know. If they were built, did the production orders have a notation of that name? Was the "Stinger" edition name only listed on the sales invoice? Did any "Stinger" models, if any were built, have a different tach as the LT-1 engine carried a 6500 rpm red line. Also Corvettes and Camaros had no a/c available with the LT-1 engine due to fears the high revving would throw the a/c belts off. A/C was available on '72 LT-1 cars but sported a lower, 5600 rpm red line tach (only about 240 Corvettes came that way). Did Avanti Motors address that by making a/c not available in those cars possibly produced?

This really surprised me when I discovered this news release. It possibly answers some questions but brings up even more. Unless someone has copies of factory documentation regarding this...memos between Nate Altman and Gene Hardig for instance or Charles Solliday (Avanti sales manager) regarding this. There may not have been written notes about it...it could merely have been done verbally between them. Avanti Motors was a small concern and formal minutes may not have been taken outside of actual corporate meetings and required for legal reasons.

The only way this might be answered (maybe) would be to review every production order for every Avanti II beginning in 1970 when the 350 engines were installed in Avantis. Notations would presumably have been on build sheets to show what engines were installed with 4-speed cars (there can't have been that many 4-speed cars I would believe). It may not have "Stinger" noted on the production sheet but engine numbers would give what kind of 350 engine would have been installed. Holley carburetors would have been factory equipment on LT-1 engines as well. The production sheet would also note the performance exhaust system, Twin Traction rear and other special, dedicated "Stinger" items.

In 1973 the LT-1 was replaced by the hydraulic-lifter L-82 which became the top horsepower small block. Were any of these installed in Avantis?

Outside of this, I've never heard any mention of a special "Stinger" model...not in advertising, the AOAI or SDC forums...no mention anywhere. Has anyone ever heard of the "Stinger"?
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

I would not be surprised if a handful of 350 LT-1 4 speeds were built, but never heard of a "Stinger" though.
    What periodical printed that story?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I posted what I have...it has no reference to source. It just shows how much about the cars that is still to be learned.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

That is amazing, if the story came from Avanti Motors via UPI, who knows NO ONE may have picked it up at all.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Avanti Stinger, boy that really has a nice sting too it - ooops,I mean ring too it
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

In placing the Avanti Motor Corporation build sheets in binders I kinda glanced at them. I don't remember any special notations about engines except the car built for Molded Fiberglass Company Supercharged Avanti II. When time allows I will revisit the build sheets and see if I can pick up any confirmation about "special engined Avanti II's". Regards
            John Hull

Comment

John...

I was hoping you would see this. If you happen to see any engine codes on build sheets starting with CTK, CGY, CGZ, CKY, CKZ, CRS or CRT that would be a tip-off it was a high horsepower engine installed in that car, depending on the year.

Comment

I have the original engine for my 70 4spd. Car was ordered for a lady. It came with a 3.54 open rear end. serial number on engine decodes to six cyl nova. There is nothing to indacate the engine is anything other than a 300 hp 350.

Comment

I'm not sure Don Yenko would have liked Avanti using the name of one of his car models.

Comment

Just think if Nate Altman sent some Avantis to Don Yenko to be "warmed over" with the Yenko treatment.

I guess it's possible that Don Yenko could have objected to the use of the "Stinger" name after Nate made the announcement. That could have stopped the use of the name immediately.

Comment

Based on the typeset, font, and layout of the article, I would bet it came from an issue of Automotive News, a trade publication.
                      Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                      \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                        Based on the typeset, font, and layout of the article, I would bet it came from an issue of Automotive News, a trade publication.
                        Good point, Eric. I agree. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

He should have added a Supercharger too, Turbo's weren't popular yet although some cars had a turbo. Maybe even named them A2 or A3.
                          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

The LT-1 engine had 11:1 compression. I don't believe that would have been blower friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                              The LT-1 engine had 11:1 compression. I don't believe that would have been blower friendly.
                              True in 1970, in '71-'72 compression dropped to 9-1 that might have been more boost friendly.
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X