'52 Champ overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '52 Champ overdrive

Hey Folks: Just picked up a '52 Champ 3 on the tree w/ OD. I also have a '47 M5 so I'm not used to the overdrive transmission. When I back off the accelerator the car seems to "freewheel" and it does not slow down with the engine like a non-overdrive transmission set up would. Any ideas? Is this normal? Appreciate any help
    Thanks Bob mac

It should free-wheel when you let up under about 30 mph; the overdrive drop-in speed. Above the drop in speed, it should drop into overdrive.

Chances are, something is inoperative in the OD circuit or componentry.

This is a good time to buy the appropriate Studebaker Shop Manual, or the universal Borg-Warner Overdrive Service Manual from Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts in Clay Center KS, and go through the check-out procedure. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What does it do when the O.D. Handle is pulled OUT which SHOULD be out of Overdrive? Normal deceleration?

It sounds like it is just not shifting into O.D.
      #1 check: made sure the Trans. lever is ALL the way back, when the dash handle is all the way IN.

Get into the habit of ALWAYS Parking the Car in REVERSE, then you do not have to worry whether the O.D. is IN or OUT so it will not roll away.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

'52 Champ OD

Funny, I've never driven the car with the OD handle out (OD disengaged I assume) I'll try that tomorrow for fun. I did discover that parking in reverse was the way to go already. Great piece of advice. The car definitely does shift into overdrive as there is a big difference in rpm from 3rd gear to OD.
        Thanks everyone!

Comment

Driving it with the handle pulled out will make a big difference. If it has the stock rear end it will slow down a lot quicker than most standard trans cars. Around town in traffic the handle is usually left out for compression braking.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
          X