For Bob Palma - Coggins Motor ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Bob Palma - Coggins Motor ad

A couple of weeks ago I moved my mother from the house she has lived in for the past 45 years to an apartment. One of the things that she saved for me was the newspaper from Charlottesville, VA's bicentennial celebration in 1962. I vaguely remember going to a celebration at Lane High School (which was directly across Preston Avenue from the Studebaker dealer) to commemorate the event.

The paper consisted of about 6 sections that contained historical articles on Charlottesville, Albemarle County and the University of Virginia. There were many ads from local businesses including most of the car dealers. I saw ads for most of the major brands, but did not see one for the Ford dealer. Also missing were ads for the Jeep and AMC dealers as well as GMC truck, though the Volkswagen dealer was represented. There was also an ad for Settle Tire, which was next door (and can be seen in the background).

Last edited by Guido; 08-16-2014, 06:40 PM.

'Way cool, Gary; thanks so much.

To this day, the original, die-cast, made-in-USA Coggins Motors License Plate Frame remains with the Astra White convertible sold new at Coggins;

Thanks again. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It is surprising that in 1962 they were still listing Valiant as a separate brand from Plymouth. That was only true for the 1960 model year.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In Sweden the Valiant was separate 60-61 & was gulped up by Plymouth for the -62 modell, different for different markets?
        & the ad didn't list Hawk either...

Comment

Bob; You make us ol' Central Virginia guys proud! Coggins Motors was a part of our Studebaker heritage right up to the bitter end. I have to wipe away a tear every time I pass the building.

Frank Drumheller
          Locust Grove, VA
          60S-W6
          M16-52 '48 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

Originally posted by studelark View Post
            Bob; You make us ol' Central Virginia guys proud! Coggins Motors was a part of our Studebaker heritage right up to the bitter end. I have to wipe away a tear every time I pass the building.

Frank Drumheller
            Locust Grove, VA
            60S-W6
            The building is long gone, by the early '70's they were strictly an used car dealer and had moved to Rt. 29 north in where the Rio Hill Shopping Center is. The whole Vinegar Hill area was razed back in the '60's and the outlying business parcels in the early '70's. Coggins was later the AMC dealer and also sold Triumphs.
            Last edited by Guido; 08-18-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by studelark View Post
              Frank Drumheller
              Locust Grove, VA
              60S-W6
              Thanks, Frank. Actually, I like the bottom back of that license plate frame almost as much as the front of it:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

'Just ran across this, fellas, and wondered if any of you knew Mr. Harris:

That's "my" convertible, and I believe Mr. Harris operated a Cities Service gas station. Further comments? BP

Comment

Working...
                X