PDA

View Full Version : 1961 Scout with Studebaker V8

dpson
08-13-2014, 07:47 PM
I pulled this from craigslist, sounds like BS to me...

"first V-8 international scout you will not find another one like this, back in 1961 when this scout was new the original owner who worked for international removed the 4 cylinder and went to the studebaker plant and purchased a new 289 V-8 studebaker engine, 3 speed manual transmission and an overdrive unit which was all installed in 1961. They did a very good job and made it look original, from that point of time the vehicle resided in California for almost it whole life then it went to the second owner who spent a ton of money for late model upgrades to make it very drivable. Scout has all new springs, shackles and shocks with a modest 3" lift, has new flaming river steering column, all new steering, complete new brakes with new drums, New Goodyear Duravac tires with alloy wheels. Has new 4 core aluminum radiator, hoses and electric fan, has electric fuel pump, reconditioned tanks and new filler necks, a ton of money was spent.
All of that being said it does leak oil from the rear main seal, the transmission will pop out of gear when coasting down a hill and the gauges even though they are new still need some work. This Scout has never been painted and is probably one of the top 10 un restored Scouts in the country. It is the 3rd lowest serial number Scout that is still registered and on the road today, the complete vin is FC8166.
Not another one like this one it is just really cool. If interested it is best to call thanks."

JoeHall
08-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Looks interesting. What city did you find this CL ad it in?
Thanks

JoeHall
08-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Never mind, I found it in NH.
Thanks

dnevin
08-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Interesting--my question would be if the original owner worked for international, wouldn't it have been a lot less work to put an international V8 in it (especially since the 4-cyl in those was half of one of their V8s anyway...)

t walgamuth
08-13-2014, 08:28 PM
The International v8 is one of the few that probably weighs more than a stude.

08-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Both being isolated from the industry hotbed in Detroit (IH HQ was in Chicago, and the Scout was built in Fort Wayne, IN, 75 or so miles from South Bend), I've heard stories that Studebaker and IH were friendly with each other and exploratory talks were even held at times about cooperative efforts. I'm not claiming or saying this unit has any connection to any of those rumors, and there is nothing in hard evidence to support any of those said rumors. But, the low production number on this unit has me wondering??????

IH closed the Fort Wayne Scout plant in 1980, I believe, and ended Heavy and Medium Duty Truck line production there when I was about 35 miles away from Fort Wayne at college, in 1983 or 1984. At that point, Fort Wayne looked to be headed in the same direction as South Bend. Forever scarred by the closing of a big time auto plant,

Fort Wayne won over a new GM truck plant in the late 1980's, attributable to a much more business friendly and aggressive local environment. It looked like the South Bend area finally caught up with Fort Wayne in the early 2000's, when Mishawaka won the Hummer H2 Plant. But today, Fort Wayne still enjoys bragging rights over us for landing and keeping a major employer that replaced their lost "historical legacy" employer.

Even if it was monkey business of a rogue employee, this Scout would have great local interest because of it's mixed heritage if it is truly Stude powered. And, I'd love to hear the stories it could tell.

Warren Webb
08-14-2014, 12:48 AM
Sure looks like a Stude engine. If it leaks oil it's gotta be one!

dpson
08-14-2014, 05:05 AM
Did anyone notice that the engine appears to have 4 bolt covers, which I believe were discontinued in 1960. It would be interesting to see what year the engine is and if its a 289.

jimmijim8
08-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Earlier 60's v8's had the 4 bolt valve covers. cheers jimmijim

StudeRich
08-14-2014, 05:49 PM
And it is "Supposed" to be a 1961, maybe not.

Milaca
08-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Some later model Scouts came from the factory equipped with AMC engines. Perhaps those in charge at International Harvester thought AMC and Studebaker were the same company? ;)

Bish
08-15-2014, 07:30 AM
There were adapter kits available to install larger engines in Willys products, using the original driveline, especially Ford and Chevy eights. I have seen a couple Willys wagons with Stude engines. This is probably one of those, as those parts were not proprietary to IH. Closer inspection would probably reveal homemade mounts, etc.

Bish

tbredehoft
08-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Does the location/position of the upper radiator hose/thermostat housing look OK? Is it really a Studebaker engine? Note the slightly different oil fill/breather.

DEEPNHOCK
08-15-2014, 08:19 AM
The 401 IHC used was an AMC engine.
That's the only one I am aware of.

Some later model Scouts came from the factory equipped with AMC engines. Perhaps those in charge at International Harvester thought AMC and Studebaker were the same company? ;)

jimmijim8
08-15-2014, 08:28 AM
That gasoline line{hose }is just waiting until that steering shaft rubs a hole in it so it can contribute to an engine fire. When are people going to learn that a metal line from the fuel pump is the proper procedure? cheers jimmijim

StudeRich
08-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Does the location/position of the upper radiator hose/thermostat housing look OK? Is it really a Studebaker engine? Note the slightly different oil fill/breather.

The Thermostat housing is most likely from the IH or a Mopar, any car with the same Standard size Thermostat will fit.
The Oil Filler Pipe has the little shelf for the shield on the old 232 Oil Cap, but the top 4 or 5 inches looks like a Pipe from the IH or some other make was added to the top for the late '64 sealed "Upper" crankcase, Calif. emissions system added also.

Milaca
08-15-2014, 05:18 PM
The 401 IHC used was an AMC engine.
That's the only one I am aware of.
They also used 232 and 258 inline six engines. I had a 1970 Scout with it's original 232 engine.

Roscomacaw
08-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Whatever the circumstances, I think it's a cool combo! Wonder what RA it sports? Anyone know if IH used Danas?

StudeDave57
08-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Here's the link for those interested parties out there...

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4559452366.html

Now you can see the rest of the story.
Personally- I wanna know about that California plate. :yeahright:

StudeDave '57 :cool: