Anyone got a mop? Metro Detroit after this week's historic flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got a mop? Metro Detroit after this week's historic flooding

Hope no Studes got caught! Thankfully, only one death attributed to the 4.57 inches of rain that fell Monday night. About a dozen vehicles were completely submerged in the area shown by the pic of the police boat cruising I-75 and I-696 overpass.

Last edited by drpreposterous; 08-15-2014, 04:57 PM.

Fortunately, we had only a small amount of rain water in the basement. Street was flooded over the curbs. Weather service said Ecorse Creek (about 100 yards N of me) was 2.1 feet over the 8.0 foot flood stage but there is a park serving as a flood plain so not much of a problem there. Some houses nearby the creek were sitting in 2 feet of water with it running in the doors. I stayed at home and the Stude stayed in the garage snug and dry.

Bob
    Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Saw your album, Bob. Ya got a great collection of rides. Are you going to be at the Woodward Cruise? I'd love to see your '53!

Comment

The Crossroad Zone meet was this past weekend , we drove home on 75 on Sunday just a day before all that rain .....someone must have been watching over all the Studes at that meet, I'm sure all were long gone before the sky opened up....at least we can hope they were.
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Our sympathies go out to our friends in Michigan. We know how it feels. At the western end of Lake Ontario just nine days ago, the City of Burlington received almost 8 inches of rain in 4 hours. Over 2,000 homes were flooded, most by storm/sanitary sewer back-up. One of our daughters saw 3 feet of this stuff in her basement, with a whole lot of bacteria-infected feces, with the resultant damage estimate of $75,000. Fortunately she was covered by insurance but many who only saw overland flood damage were not covered. Everyone...check your insurance coverage.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I'm a parts manager in Monroe and heard the horror stories from my drivers who were trying to get around that mess. Thanks for the pics!
            sigpic

Packardbakerly,
            J.D.

Comment

The storms were in eastern NY today. We had a lot of rain in a short period of time, but not the 13 inches that Islip received.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Anyone got a dust rag?

Wow.. 13"??

In Phoenix all it takes is 3" and we have mayhem, like last night. Although the massive amount of 120 mph Micro Burst certainly don't help either.

Of course nothing like a haboob to brighten your day in Phoenix!

Comment

I was surprised by the carnage. I now work at a Chrysler dealer in Rochester Hills, MI. I drove to work and drove home, no problems. But we had 20 cars towed in due to the storm before we had to cut people off. We just don't have to room to store all of them.
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

We didn't get hit too bad north of Auburn Hills. Lots of guys at work are reporting 5-6 hr drive times with the roads closed. Hopefully it doesn't keep people from coming up for Woodward. I'll be out on Woodward Friday night but I'll be in my brand-X car.
                    Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop
                    1962 Champ Truck
                    1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

I'm going to Woodward on Saturday. Still don't know where I'm going to park.
                      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                        I'm going to Woodward on Saturday. Still don't know where I'm going to park.
                        Julie doesn't want to go since Myers Studebaker has the engine out of our Hawk. I think I'm going to take a personal day on Friday and wonder around (going alone so I can enjoy the cars).
                        sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                        J.D.

Comment

'Looks like the GM Tech Center got hit pretty hard.

(Oh, no; another delay in getting all those ignition switches replaced! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                          X