Windshield DONE !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield DONE !!

With glass in the Speedster starts to look like a car again! I hardly needed any goof off to clean up afterward. What a contrast to the first windshield I tried putting in the Champ..... the Champ took 4 tries left 8609 everywhere and in the end I had to resort to my Glass man.

Don't know why the book says it takes 3 or is it 4 people to do one.

A milestone indeed. Reports like this give the rest of us hope.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
      With glass in the Speedster starts to look like a car again! I hardly needed any goof off to clean up afterward. What a contrast to the first windshield I tried putting in the Champ..... the Champ took 4 tries left 8609 everywhere and in the end I had to resort to my Glass man.
      Yeah, but...this time...YOU HAD EXPERIENCE!

The relief in the way you presented the title to this thread says it all!

Congratulations...and best wishes, that the rest of the restoration goes well!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Did you install the back glass yet? I musta missed it.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

You will need the 3 or 4 for that back glass if you haven't installed it yet. The windshield is much easier.

Comment

Yes, I did the back glass first. It took about 4 hours solo. A little more pain in the hemorrhoids than the flat windshield. Just remember that despite what the book says, don't cross the rope at the bottom..... cross the rope at the top. Position it squarely over the opening and proceed slowly. 8609 in the glass grove and on the rubber just outside the pinchweld grove. First one I did I put it in the pinchweld groove.... what a mess !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140810_193630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1691728 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_174553.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1691729 Click image for larger version

Name:	20140803_181644.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1691730

Comment

The windshield in my Hawk took about 4 tries.What a bear. The backglass slipped in in about 20 minutes,actually fit like it was made for the car! I also did my glass alone-I think the factory had 3 guys that worked well together,and kept the assembly line moving.[every once in a while,I've had a 'helper' that just gets in the way,and makes a job take longer]
              I think wide tolerances on the body shell makes some glass installations almost impossible,and some very easy.
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I had an old glass pro install rear glass and windshield it two of the pro's and once they called for me to hold something and it still took over tree hours. Sure glad I hired it done they did a great job. 5 years later and still no leeks.

Comment

I had an old glass pro install rear glass and windshield it two of the pro's and once they called for me to hold something and it still took over three hours. Sure glad I hired it done they did a great job. 5 years later and still no leeks.

Comment

Working...
                  X