Former Studebaker employee, UAW leader celebrates 90th birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Studebaker employee, UAW leader celebrates 90th birthday

What the story doesn't say is that Lester Fox was in charge of UAW Local 5 in South Bend during some of Studebaker's harshest strikes in the late 1950s and 1960s.
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Congratulations to Fred on a well earned 90th Birthday. I have a few of those Studebaker Local #5 pin backs when that Union was active.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Reaching the age of 90 is a feat within itself - spending much of your senior years giving back to others who need it? - priceless. Congrats to Mr. Fox.

Comment

His photo is included on the murals Local 5 Union Hall: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=MURAL

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by lschuc View Post
          SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- A man who has dedicated nine decades of life to helping others celebrated a big birthday Thursday. Les Fox turned 90.

Fox is a former Studebaker employee who became an advocate for the unemployed and under-served after the plant closed.

What the story doesn't say is that Lester Fox was in charge of UAW Local 5 in South Bend during some of Studebaker's harshest strikes in the late 1950s and 1960s.
          Thanks for that reminder, Lew (seriously).

If Lester Fox had really been interested in the [potentially] unemployed, he would have encouraged Studebaker's hourly workers to stay on the job when Egbert had the ball rolling their way in the spring of 1962, instead of strangling production at a time when dealers really needed more good-selling '62 Larks and newly-restyled Hawks.

(Aren't people normally canonized after they die?) BP
          Last edited by BobPalma; 08-08-2014, 04:51 AM.
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Below discovered en route to looking other things up. Dept 539 was Die Engineering and Maintenance - Chassis Division. Note date was early 1955. Fox would have been 31 at that time.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	les fox basketball.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1691731
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Thanks for that reminder, Lew (seriously).

If Lester Fox had really been interested in the [potentially] unemployed, he would have encouraged Studebaker's hourly workers to stay on the job when Egbert had the ball rolling their way in the spring of 1962, instead of strangling production at a time when dealers really needed more good-selling '62 Larks and newly-restyled Hawks.

(Aren't people normally canonized after they die?) BP
              I often thought that Fox actually held the hand that would have given Studebaker another chance.
              Last edited by nels; 08-12-2014, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Perhaps the powers that be in New York had a hand in seeing the strike crippled the automotive sector of the corporation? After all they wanted out of auto manufacturing. Bankers control the purse string, hence whatever went on in the corporation.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  Perhaps the powers that be in New York had a hand in seeing the strike crippled the automotive sector of the corporation? After all they wanted out of auto manufacturing. Bankers control the purse string, hence whatever went on in the corporation.
                  I think you have it right. If Stude couldn't control labor cost and output, why would anybody have loaned them more money.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                    I often thought that Fox actually held the hand that would have given Studebaker another chance.
                    Right, Nels.

This may take a minute, but I think it needs to be said about that early 1962 strike that crippled production at a critical time in the Automotive Division's last years.

From the January 15, 1962 edition of Newsweek, under the headline, Showdown at South Bend.

(All of the following in dark blue is an exact quote from the article; no editing):
                    The company's demands:

1. That total relief time be cut from the present 39 minutes to 25. (General Motors gives 24 minutes.)

2. That vacation pay be calculated on straight-time wages, the usual method, instead of total pay, as at present.

3. That overtime is paid only after five days of straight time in a single work week, the same as in other auto companies, instead of the present schedule of time-and-a-half for all Saturday work and double time for all Sunday work.

4. That costly shift premiums be lowered.

UAW-CIO Regional Director Raymond Berndt branded S-P's demands, "the most dishonest I have ever witnessed."

Egbert's retort, "What's dishonest about trying to become competitive? He added, "We've been at fault in not allowing them [the workers] to know the facts...we must adjust back to the proper competitive position. They may not agree with me, but I've got to face my conscience."

The January 6, 1962 issue of Business Week had already published the following in a similar article:

"[Proposed contract terms] included wage concessions for employees, including an annual improvement factor raise of 2.5%, or a minimum of 6 cents per hour, but with 1.5 cents of the increase held to offset higher pension costs, and an additional 1 cent per hour as a cost-of-living increase."

Well, there you have it.

Barely 22 months later, the UAW's bone-headedness in not listening to Egbert had not only contributed to Egbert's stomach cancer, subsequent forced resignation, and the ultimately-shortened life of a good man, but had helped insure that Christmas 1963 would be somewhat less than merry in South Bend for the thousands of UAW members who had believed their "leaders," rather than those trying to keep Studebaker production lines profitable and competitive in South Bend.

As Sir Winston Churchill said in a speech to The House of Commons on May 17, 1916: "[The] truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is."

And here we are almost 100 years later. Odd how history repeats itself, isn't it? BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                      Right, Brad: You are also onto something, there.

There is every possibility that those Board Members who wanted out of the automobile business when Egbert was hired (which wasn't all of them, of course, or it would have happened in 1961), would have been crying crocodile tears at the strike's potential of driving the final nails in the Automotive Division's coffin. BP

Comment

Right, Brad: You are also onto something, there.

There is every possibility that those Board Members who wanted out of the automobile business when Egbert was hired (which wasn't all of them, of course, or it would have happened in 1961), would have been crying crocodile tears at the strike's potential of driving the final nails in the Automotive Division's coffin. BP
                        Remembering how Randolph Guthrie and Richard Nixon were absolutely no help to us, and in fact were hindrances, Bob Palma is certainly right in his comments.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                          Remembering how Randolph Guthrie and Richard Nixon were absolutely no help to us, and in fact were hindrances, Bob Palma is certainly right in his comments.

Stu Chapman
                          I know Nixon was part of the split up but what/how did he hinder things??

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                            I know Nixon was part of the split up but what/how did he hinder things??
                            Nels: I don't know the extent to which Stu wants to answer your question here, but he well answers it in his book, My Father the Car.

If you have a copy, check out Page 57 and others, as referenced in the Index. But Page 57 is the bulk of it.

(It was when Nixon was acting as an attorney, not as President or Vice President of The United States.) BP

Comment

Nels: I don't know the extent to which Stu wants to answer your question here, but he well answers it in his book, My Father the Car.

If you have a copy, check out Page 57 and others, as referenced in the Index. But Page 57 is the bulk of it.

(It was when Nixon was acting as an attorney, not as President or Vice President of The United States.) BP
                              Thanks Bob for providing this reference for Nels, who can contact me if he wishes for any further comment. By the way, "My Father The Car" can be purchased from the Studebaker National Museum or the Avanti Owners Association International....shameless plug.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                              X