Drag race mishap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag race mishap

Not Studebaker related (Thank Goodness!) but interesting.

Leonard Shepherd

That would tend to ruin one's day at the strip, wouldn't it?

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

That would tend to ruin one's day at the strip, wouldn't it?

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I think he should find someone that CAN weld
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

He obviously didn't have tapered axles![xx(]

Here's another amazing vid from that same site! Look what you can see at one thousand frames per second![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

He obviously didn't have tapered axles![xx(]

Here's another amazing vid from that same site! Look what you can see at one thousand frames per second![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Who says any welds broke?

Could have more easliy been the actual Heim joints that broke, or the Heim threads that stripped!
                OR...could have been the bolts that secured the ladder bar to the chassis (thru the Heim) also. Plainly...what ever the cause...one side broke before the other side.

Though...either way...NHRA and I believe the IHRA both require a "loop" (of sorts as a safety feature) to secure any broken Heim joints so that "doesn't" happen. He apparently didn't have the safety features installed!

Mike

Comment

Who says any welds broke?

Could have more easliy been the actual Heim joints that broke, or the Heim threads that stripped!
                  OR...could have been the bolts that secured the ladder bar to the chassis (thru the Heim) also. Plainly...what ever the cause...one side broke before the other side.

Though...either way...NHRA and I believe the IHRA both require a "loop" (of sorts as a safety feature) to secure any broken Heim joints so that "doesn't" happen. He apparently didn't have the safety features installed!

Mike

Comment

It looks like the four bolts that fasten the ladder bars to the diff plates sheared (or the solid heim ends broke or stripped out). Probably had some Home Depot grade 5 galvanized bolts jammed in there. I've seen that happen on one side where the front (solid) heim end broke. Twisted the rear end 45 degree's and tore up a whole lot more than this Camaro had torn up.
                    Betcha he could have had that Camaro fixed in a day, not counting the driveshaft...
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It looks like the four bolts that fasten the ladder bars to the diff plates sheared (or the solid heim ends broke or stripped out). Probably had some Home Depot grade 5 galvanized bolts jammed in there. I've seen that happen on one side where the front (solid) heim end broke. Twisted the rear end 45 degree's and tore up a whole lot more than this Camaro had torn up.
                      Betcha he could have had that Camaro fixed in a day, not counting the driveshaft...
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Interesting to see the Christmas tree green light flashing at 60 cycles per second....
                        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Jeff

Comment

Interesting to see the Christmas tree green light flashing at 60 cycles per second....
                          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Jeff

Comment

Here's an idea of what it's like when I drive our 60 Lark ragtop and take the wife to our favorite breakfast nook in the nearby Sierra Nevadas.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Here's an idea of what it's like when I drive our 60 Lark ragtop and take the wife to our favorite breakfast nook in the nearby Sierra Nevadas.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X