57 Commander 259 Fan Shroud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Commander 259 Fan Shroud

Anyone know of the availability of a fan shroud, #1542867, or any other vehicle's shroud that will fit a 57 Commander with a 259V8?

I have seen a LOT of '57 Sedan/Wagons both brand New and Used, and never saw one.

It must have only been used as a special option for the very rare Air Cond. Cars, what makes you think you need one. No one has yet.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't have one, just would like one for protection when working around engine, seems rather ominous with the fan spinning in the open. Didnt know if it was supposed to be there until I saw it in the parts book.

Comment

At least there's $140 or so I can save now, lol.

Comment

Studebaker International had the shroud but if you get it you will need to replace the twenty inch fan with a eighteen inch one. I installed the one from SI and fan from Summit racing. The shroud will not cover all the fan half the blade width still is exposed which is the accepted standard for shroud usage Also made paper copy of shroud parts and we made another from sheet metal to install on my brothers 56 President
          Attached Files
          Last edited by acolds; 08-04-2014, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll stay as I am, don't want to change the fan.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
              Don't have one, just would like one for protection when working around engine, seems rather ominous with the fan spinning in the open. Didnt know if it was supposed to be there until I saw it in the parts book.
              It isn't "Supposed to be there"!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

On my 56 Commander wagon, I painted the tip of one fan blade a bright safety yellow, from the top about two inches down. It shows up fairly well when the fan is spinning. Also, I never do any work when I am distracted or intoxicated, or medicated. I like to keep my full wits about me.

One time the last bulb in my trouble light broke. All I had was a yellow, insect repelling bulb from the outdoor light. That made the engine look completely different. That made me quit for the night.

Working around spinning, moving machinery takes good light, forethought, safety glasses, and all your attention.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks for the insight Roy.

Comment

Working...
                  X