Avanti won't shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Avanti won't shut down

I went to look at another Avanti (I am starting to feel like the proverbial bridesmaid) and a weird thing happened. Start up went fine (once there was gas in the float bowls) and the car was able to pull forward and back, stop, all that good stuff. Turn the key to shut off and the car continued to run just fine. The tach went to zero and returned to indicate when in the accessory position. All the other items that should work with the ignition shut down with the key in the off position. Pulled the battery cable and the car still ran, didn't quit until the coil cable was pulled from the distributor.

What say you guys?

the alternator is working and may be the wrong one. It may be miswired or the regulator may be shorted supplying the engine with 12 volts continuously. For me this wouldn't be a deal killer
    Rob

Comment

There may be a closed circuit in the Solenoid from the Batt. Terminal to the "IGN" Terminal.

Put the Batt. Cable back on and the Coil wire, start it up leave in Park or Neutral with Parking Brake set and disconnect the small wire on the Solenoid terminal marked "IGN", if that stops it, replace the Solenoid.

Disconnecting the Batt. did nothing since the Alternator was keeping it running.

Is there an Electronic Ignition System like a Pertronix or other, or a stock Points type system?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

stuck solenoid as Rich suggests

Comment

Wouldn't a stuck solenoid also engage the starter?
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies!

From what I could see, the ignition was stock. For the most part the car is original, even the paint. A good driver was my take. The paint, maybe wet sanding could help but I don't see it as salvageable in the long term. Rust free and very clean frame. Front seats recovered, rest of interior fair to middling. Carpet is fresh, tyres fairly fresh.

The failure to shut off isn't a deal killer. If I buy the car, I will need to get this done first, before I even run to the DMV to transfer and bring the car off the PNO. No desire to experience a stuck throttle w/o the ability to shut down the engine!

Trust me guys, if I get this car, you'll know it!

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
              Hi guys, thanks for all the replies!

From what I could see, the ignition was stock. For the most part the car is original, even the paint. A good driver was my take. The paint, maybe wet sanding could help but I don't see it as salvageable in the long term. Rust free and very clean frame. Front seats recovered, rest of interior fair to middling. Carpet is fresh, tyres fairly fresh.

The failure to shut off isn't a deal killer. If I buy the car, I will need to get this done first, before I even run to the DMV to transfer and bring the car off the PNO. No desire to experience a stuck throttle w/o the ability to shut down the engine!

Trust me guys, if I get this car, you'll know it!
              That all sounds great....best of luck with this!

Comment

I suppose if my little "trick" does not shut it off, there is some possibility it COULD be a faulty Ignition Switch. Good luck with the Purchase, I am sure neither case will be a "Deal Killer"!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Try lack of enough resistance in the charge circuit coming from the altenator.

Comment

Originally posted by studepack View Post
                    Try lack of enough resistance in the charge circuit coming from the altenator.
                    Say what?:

Comment

If there isn't sufficient resistance in the charge circuit the altenator can continue to supply power to the engine even when the key is turned off.

Comment

Well, as it turns out I didn't buy the car. Nobody's fault really, I was still interested but while I was doing my due diligence, someone else beat me to it. No worries, I actually met the buyer and he seems a nice enough guy. The seller & I were both clear that should another show up with cash before we had an agreement, they should then get the car and the seller did call me to let me know where I stood before I put in any more effort.

Since then, I did forward all the suggestions as to what to do and it turned out not to be the ignition switch but the starter relay. When Doug pulled the black and green wire off the relay, the engine shut down. At least now the car is safe to drive on and off the buyer's trailer and he knows what he needs to do.

Thanks for all the advise, I'll be sure to let you all know when the happy day arrives for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X