Avanti dashpot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Avanti dashpot

Hello all, can someone tell me how to adjust the idle dashpot on my R2 1963 Avanti Carter AFB carburetor? I have the factory service manual but it is very vague on the subject. Thanks in advance.
    dennis

On Avantis, because of the high idle required by the High Lift Camshaft, the Carb. uses a Throttle "Kicker" not a dashpot.

These work exactly opposite to the Dashpots. There should be a screw to turn to adjust how much RPM it temporarily "Bumps" the idle UP to.

Exactly what issue do you have with this Car? Auto. Trans. or Manual?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No Particular issue other than it was previously missing. The car is automatic and the idle is drawn down considerably when put in gear so your reply makes sense to me. How can I adjust this properly.

Comment

The procedure is outlined in the "Gasoline" section on page 20 of the manual. Basically you shut the car down after setting your base idle, then move the choke fast idle cam to hold the throttle slightly open. Then adjust the "plunger" bolt on the end of the kicker to "just touch" the tab on the throttle primary bore lever. This does not help the idle drop much when putting it into gear from neutral, though I think it was designed to do that.

Comment

Actually, the throttle 'kicker' on the Avantis NEVER comes into play when the engine is running and idling normally...be it a low or high idle. This device was installed to give the throttle linkage a 'kick' or 'push' if the engine is stalling....it's ONLY activated when engine vacuum falls off due to a stalling condition. It has nothing to do with the A/C system. (If your Avanti has one) DO NOT attempt to adjust your Avanti's idle speed with this device.

Comment

Working...
          X