56 Golden Hawk Just crossed the block at Barrett Jackson - Reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Golden Hawk Just crossed the block at Barrett Jackson - Reno

Very nice 56 J sold for $27,500. Just before that a '50 Stude sold for $20,000, but it was during a commercial, so I did not see it. Announcers gave the GH lots of kudos and were accurate in their comments.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Now a 63 R2 Avanti has just sold for $19,500. They showed a brief picture, but it was hard to tell the full condition. So Studebaker is representing in Reno Barrett-Jackson.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

There were 2 Avantis (an '87 and a '63) as well. The '63 was an R2. I watched all of them cross the block on line. The '50 custom was really well done and someone got a good deal on it. The auctioneer stated that it was a real Hot August Nights cruiser and "just screams, take me out and drive me. . . fast!" The '56 GH was a real looker with a mocha and cream paint job I had not seen before.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

$27,500 sounds like a pretty good deal for a turn-key '56 Golden Hawk. It would be hard, if not impossible, to restore one for that kind of money if one were paying for labor PLUS all the parts involved. The '57 Goldens really seem to be pulling away from the rest in value though.

Comment

That's a buy on the '56J, even if it is not completely original. The overdrive is a $5,000 plus in my personal Blue Book.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I didn't get anywhere with the links.
            This is what I saw on TV;
            1987 Avanti, red coupe with wire wheels, sold for $8700.
            1953 Starlight, restomod, no sale at $29K.

EDIT: I got to the link for the '87 Avanti. That is a late 1987 model. The price given is with the 10% fee. $8700 was the gavel price.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My 56J looks a helluva lot better than that. Plus the Hawk underneath Studebaker did not exist in 1956 nor did the side view mirrors (saw those on a Lark Monday).

Comment

Auction states the 56J sold for just over $30,000.00
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Originally posted by EssexExport View Post
                  My 56J looks a helluva lot better than that. Plus the Hawk underneath Studebaker did not exist in 1956 nor did the side view mirrors (saw those on a Lark Monday).

Note that this '56J lacks the factory lower side mouldings that would normally run just above the rocker panel area. If I were building one of these GH's, and wasn't worried about keeping it 100% stock, I'd do exactly the same thing!

Comment

I am not a purist, and even prefer "driveability" improvements. This car looks nice, but has a lot of alterations considering it went to the renown BJ Auction, especially if purported to be anywhere near stock: later model (straight) front fender chrome strips; parking lights relocated about 3" forward; lower belt molding missing; 57 & later exhaust extensions; Hawk emblems below the fender script; paint scheme & colors; motor green instead of red; tac sender missing; valve cover labels way off center; oil filler tube cut down; coil mounted on firewall; passenger side inner vent door missing; missing dash pad; dash not black; white radio knobs; brand 'x' shift lever knob; incorrect steering wheel & horn ring; appears to be a vinyl headliner, etc..
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 08-03-2014, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      I am not a purist, and have no problem with "driveability" improvements. But some of the alterations on this car seem a bit much considering it went to the world renown BJ Auction, especially if it was purported to be anywhere near stock: later model (straight) front fender chrome strips; parking lights have been relocated about 3" forward; motor is green instead of red; tac sender missing; passenger side inner vent door missing; lower belt molding missing; 57 and later exhaust extensions; hawk emblems below the fender script; paint scheme & colors; missing dash pad; dash not black; white radio knobs; brand 'x' shift lever knob; valve cover labels way off center; appears to be a vinyl headliner, etc..
                      Hmmmm! You're comment about the front fender side mouldings on this car is interesting.

Comment

I am not a purist, Unless I am building a correct car. Then I want it as near factory correct as I can make it. I don't care what everyone else does. I do hate to see an nice original car disassembled and restored, or build into anything else. I likum all. But, a nicely done hot rod, restomod, or driver, is better to my eyes than a poorly done restoration.

Comment

a nicely done hot rod, restomod, or driver, is better to my eyes than a poorly done restoration.

I like this statement.......well said!

Comment

The lack of lower door moldings is a turn off, I always loved them on the 56. It gives it a long and low look. It seems someone replaced the front fenders with 57 or 58 ones.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                            X