Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1965 283 Color Slides - Possible Engineering/Factory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 283 Color Slides - Possible Engineering/Factory?

I bought these slides a couple of years or more from Tom Karkiewicz. I don't know where he got them from but he is in a good area. He had some other ones but I was mainly interesting in these. At 3 bucks a slide I couldn't buy them all.
    They could use a cleaning but I couldn't find my brush, maybe someday they'll get cleaned up. I've been meaning to scan them for a while. I finally found a decent slide scanner and it was cheap too. Thrift stores are great.
    I think Studebaker1965 wanted to see these. Not sure what the wheel/tire pic is all about and I bought one of a Stude V8 too. Enjoy!
    Attached Files

Great shots, I just referenced your post on a question about the 283 return spring setup. Excellent reference shots. Bob

Comment

Great Slides

Interesting, 10 of 10 is a '64 Stude. Engine with Automatic, the one installed probably in a "Test Fit" Car, maybe a '64 is a '65 283 GM Overdrive Engine Package.

Number 5 shows an original Studebaker Battery and a Canadian Air Cleaner all set up like it just came from McKinnon with the early '65 Yellow valve Covers and before Stude. applied the Decals, or even had them maybe.

The Firestone Deluxe Champion Tires pretty much prove it is a New car.

I believe they are Very Nice Factory Pics.

What method did you use to scan in Color 35mm Slides?
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-31-2014, 06:39 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks. I find this one interesting because you can see where something was screwed near where the battery would be. I'm thinking the starter solenoid was there so they probably converted a Stude powered '64. Are the wires on the carb for overdrive? I'm not familiar with them since ours is an automatic.

Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 07-31-2014, 06:33 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Appears to show the overdrive kickdown switch installation in a couple of those photos, which of course is a very different location from the Studebaker V8.

Craig

Comment

Also in the Stude picture #10 the plug wires are very close to what I posted in another thread.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Interesting, 10 of 10 is a '64 Stude. Engine with Automatic, the one installed probably in a "Test Fit" Car, maybe a '64 is a '65 283 GM Overdrive Engine Package.

Number 5 shows an original Studebaker Battery and a Canadian Air Cleaner all set up like it just came from McKinnon with the early '65 Yellow valve Covers and before Stude. applied the Decals, or even had them maybe.

The Firestone Deluxe Champion Tires pretty much prove it is a New car.

I believe they are Very Nice Factory Pics.

What method did you use to scan in Color 35mm Slides?

I bought this scanner at a local thrift store for 5 bucks, it was missing a usb cable but it was a common one I already had.

pacific image electronics prime film 1800u

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                Also in the Stude picture #10 the plug wires are very close to what I posted in another thread.
                The maroon wires! I didn't even notice them until you mentioned it, neat!

Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 07-31-2014, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Photo 7 shows welds running the length of the RH inner fender, same as the factory photo of the 1964 prototype in Ed Reynolds 1959-66 Lark book. This suggests that the 1964 prototype was recycled into the 1965 prototype.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                    The maroon wires! I didn't even notice them until you mentioned it, neat!

Interesting too is the spark plug wire guides that bolt into the rear bolts of the intake manifold are missing on both sides.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
                      Photo 7 shows welds running the length of the RH inner fender, same as the factory photo of the 1964 prototype in Ed Reynolds 1959-66 Lark book. This suggests that the 1964 prototype was recycled into the 1965 prototype.

Chris.
                      Ok, I thought that looked weird. Now I'll have to find my copy of the book.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        Appears to show the overdrive kickdown switch installation in a couple of those photos, which of course is a very different location from the Studebaker V8. Craig
                        Right, Craig. Remember, General Motors was still offering factory-installed overdrive transmissions with this engine in several models at the time, so they would have had the kick-down switch bracketry and such already designed for that location.

Great pics; thanks for the post. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It appears, on the 283, that the rocker arm cover bolts are yellow, not natural (or black). To me, this says that the covers were painted after they were installed on the engine. I wonder how many restored cars (early 1965s) have yellow hold down bolts and how they would be judged.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Wow! Great Pictures! Thanks for posting. They are very helpful! Love that AC Delco fuel pump. I'm still working on the correct valve cover decals - I'm having difficulty getting a correct background color. On another thought, I wonder what ever happened to that car? Proving ground graveyard?

Nate

Comment

Definitely not an ordinary engine stand either! Cool shots-I like how they used a car with existing wear and tear!

Comment

Working...
                              X