Plain Brown Wrapper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plain Brown Wrapper

It's exactly 50 years ago today since I purchased the 1964 Challenger known as the Plain Brown Wrapper. I just got out the official Snider Auto Service (Indianapolis) Bill of Sale to check. It's signed by John M. Knapp, Snider's sales manager at that time, although the actual salesman was my Uncle Jerry Palma (also Bob Palma's uncle, of course).

'Wish I had aged as well as the car!

George
    george krem

well, before BP says it: COOL BEANS!!!
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Congratulations on having such a cool car and for keeping it all these years!
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

George; original owner survivor Studebakers, or ANY Car are extremely rare today after 50 years, congrats on still owning, driving and preserving your "Special" Challenger!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, guys...it's been a fun ride, in more ways than one. Bob had a lot to do with my getting the car. He was with me when we "found" it. As I was standing there thinking about buying it, I said something to Bob about hating to lose the really nice HD clutch in Ted's '57 Silver Hawk. (Ted Harbit ordered the '57 new with a HD clutch...I bought it later, supercharged it, and then traded it on the Wrapper). Bob said something like "Well, sometimes you have to give up something to get something you want." That helped me decide...'sure glad I did (I wanted to keep the Hawk but couldn't afford to keep it and buy the Wrapper, too).

Thanks, Bob.

George
          george krem

Comment

Lots of memories there George! Way to go.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post
              Bob had a lot to do with my getting the car. He was with me when we "found" it. As I was standing there thinking about buying it, I said something to Bob about hating to lose the really nice HD clutch in Ted's '57 Silver Hawk. (Ted Harbit ordered the '57 new with a HD clutch...I bought it later, supercharged it, and then traded it on the Wrapper). Bob said something like "Well, sometimes you have to give up something to get something you want." That helped me decide...'sure glad I did (I wanted to keep the Hawk but couldn't afford to keep it and buy the Wrapper, too). Thanks, Bob. George
              You're welcome, George.

I was even a lousier photographer then than I am now, but here's George on delivery day, accepting the keys from our mutual Uncle Jerry:

Who'd thunk that photo would be available for millions of people to see at the same time, instantly, 50 years later? BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Too cool. And I thought I was lucky to still have the '63 GT I bought when I was 18 in 1967. It still has original paint, black with red interior and is an R-4 clone (put together with parts from Stu-V circa 1969) with powershift trans.
                Great progress with your old girl on the track.
                Bill

Comment

I don't think that you look that different, well maybe by a few hairs <G>.

This brings back the first time that I heard that car run after it got its R3. It was late in the evening in the parking lot of one of the SDC International Conventions.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gee... if this aint cool then not much is!
                    It sure is the kinda reading that makes one wanna live for ever...
                    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 08-14-2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Mr. Krem, Having the foresight fifty years ago to sacrifice things you probably could have really used, in order to purchase an expensive engine that wasn't in very high demand, and that you honestly didn't need, shows a special sort of enthusiasm for Studebakers that few people had at the time. (Many might have it now, but not back then) I applaud you!

Comment

Originally posted by R3 challenger View Post
                        Thanks, guys...it's been a fun ride, in more ways than one. Bob had a lot to do with my getting the car. He was with me when we "found" it. As I was standing there thinking about buying it, I said something to Bob about hating to lose the really nice HD clutch in Ted's '57 Silver Hawk. (Ted Harbit ordered the '57 new with a HD clutch...I bought it later, supercharged it, and then traded it on the Wrapper). Bob said something like "Well, sometimes you have to give up something to get something you want." That helped me decide...'sure glad I did (I wanted to keep the Hawk but couldn't afford to keep it and buy the Wrapper, too).

Thanks, Bob.

George
                        And I'll bet I've had about as much fun in it as George has.

Thanks George.

Ted

Comment

Snider emblem

Snider? That sounds familiar. This is still on one of my cars.
                          Attached Files
                          34 Dictator
                          47 M5 Pickup
                          48 Commander Convertible
                          50 2R10 Pickup
                          56 Packard Patrician
                          63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

Comment

Yep, Herb (Post #13); that's the one.

I hung around Snider Auto Service quite a bit as a teen-ager and, fortunately, a Snider dealer script was never installed on The Plain Brown Wrapper, despite its being sold there.

Undoubtedly, Salesman / Uncle Jerry Palma saw to it that nobody drilled holes in the car and affixed one! (Thanks, Jerry!). BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              Yep, Herb (Post #13); that's the one.

I hung around Snider Auto Service quite a bit as a teen-ager and, fortunately, a Snider dealer script was never installed on The Plain Brown Wrapper, despite its being sold there.
                              Undoubtedly, Salesman / Uncle Jerry Palma saw to it that nobody drilled holes in the car and affixed one! (Thanks, Jerry!). BP
                              Yes, George would have had a fit about the extra weight of the emblem but just think if they would have drilled holes, put the script on the car and then George was able to remove it. He would have rid the car of the script plus the weight lightening accomplished by the two 1/8 holes that were left behind.
                              Last edited by nels; 03-20-2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X