Wiring diagram for Avanti II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring diagram for Avanti II

I have searched the forum and internet and cannot find a wiring diagram for the Avanti II. Mine is a 1978.
    Is the diagram and wire colors the same as the 1963? My gas gage is not working. I installed a new sending unit but there were three wires on the old one which doesn't seem right. I need to get back in the trunk and check the wire colors.
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

Not sure about the colors Dave but apparently you aren't the only one with the issue. Talking to the guys here in Texas that have a bunch of Avanti II types and they all have some sort of electrical issues. I have a 63 which was giving me fits (turn stuff on and it don't work) so I decided to TOTALLY REWIRE the whole thing. Using a "Painless Wiring" kit with 24 circuits.

As far as the gas gauge is concerned, you should have a red wire going to the sending unit on top of the tank from the gauge, a white and black wire to the fuse box from the gauge and you may or may not have the black wire going to the tank sending unit as well from the fuse box. One of my Avanti's (an old 64) had it that way. This 63 only has a red wire. Can't tell you more than that except "good luck".

Comment

Try this

64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

After six hours of testing and re-testing the wiring and with the help of the forum and Bob Johnstone I got my gas gage working. Come to find out that the PO ran the ground wire from the sending unit to the positive side of the battery and put the ground and lead wire from the gage to the sender center connection. What a mess! If I hadn't coated the tank with bed liner prior to re-installing it, I probably been blown to China. I never thought to check if he ran that extra ground to the correct battery post. The only problem I can see right now is that the gage needle bounces around an awful lot I assume from the gas slopping around in the tank and raising and lowering the sending unit float. Is this normal?
        I took the rear shelf, the back seat and fiberglass shell and the sending unit back out all for that simple wire. I found the problem when I accidentally tested the hood release handle to a ground wire and got 12 volts. The whole dashboard was hot. I still can't figure why it wasn't a direct short and burn some wiring. The dash and frame are grounded so it's a mystery.
        thanks again for everyone's help.

dave
        Avantidave
        1978 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
        X