It could have been worse.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It could have been worse.......

Last saturday we finally got my wagon painted. We painted the hood, bumpers and grille parts separately.
    Sunday morning, I went to the shop and unmasked everything, loaded the bumpers and grill parts into the wagon, and decided to take it home. I left my hood there because it wouldn't fit in the car and I couldn't bolt it on by myself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1744381Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.jpg
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	1744382

Sunday evening I received a phone call from my boss only to discover this;

Name:	shop fire.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1744383

Yep, The people that were renting the front of the building had a thrift store. It caught on fire.
    The overhead door in the lower right of the picture is the door to the shop.........
    Bye bye hood! Everything inside was a total loss.
    16 customer cars, one was an $89,000 30's ford sedan hotrod that was in the transmission shop that was also in the building.

Long story short, anyone know where there is a 1956 stude wagon hood? Or what else will fit it?

I am thankful that I got the car out a day earlier than I had planned!

Comment

Central Nebraska

Comment

Way B*tchin looking hot rod. Sorry to hear about the hood, though. Amazing timing. Glad you got yours saved. Here's mine. Still in the planning stage.
        sals54

Comment

I thought you might be close to Oklahoma.

Comment

I think I have one and will be going to St. Paul Minnesota in Sept, motor home and trailer, I know have a hood and think that 56 and 57 sedans and wagons are the same?
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

The '56 Sedan and Wagon Hoods are all by themselves, a one-off Hood, quite different in the front than the '57.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That had to be complete shock.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                  I think I have one and will be going to St. Paul Minnesota in Sept, motor home and trailer, I know have a hood and think that 56 and 57 sedans and wagons are the same?
                  I would still be off you route a long way. I am not sure what fits.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  The '56 Sedan and Wagon Hoods are all by themselves, a one-off Hood, quite different in the front than the '57.
                  But, do they bolt on and fit? My car is far from perfect. I just need a hood.

Comment

Rich, do you have a picture of the 56 and a 57? not sure what one I have and how to tell.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

I have 4 1956 President parts cars and a hood for sale if you can come and pick it up.
                      I am at the intersection of Interstate 80 and Interstate 55 in Illinois.
                      I am not able to ship but if someone from your area goes to the huge swap meet at Menomonie
                      Wisconsin they may get close to here and pick it up.
                      Robert Kapteyn
                      studebaker@mac.com
                      Put " Studebaker" in the subject line otherwise it ends up in the trash.

Comment

The 56 and 57 hoods are NOT the same.

Any 56 Studebaker sedan/wagon hood will fit any other 56 sedan/wagon
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                          I have 4 1956 President parts cars and a hood for sale if you can come and pick it up.
                          I am at the intersection of Interstate 80 and Interstate 55 in Illinois.
                          I am not able to ship but if someone from your area goes to the huge swap meet at Menomonie
                          Wisconsin they may get close to here and pick it up.
                          Robert Kapteyn
                          studebaker@mac.com
                          Put " Studebaker" in the subject line otherwise it ends up in the trash.
                          Ironically, my wife and i got home from a trip to macinac island. I just drove past you on Tuesday.
                          I will keep you in mind if nothing comes up closer. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                            The 56 and 57 hoods are NOT the same.

Any 56 Studebaker sedan/wagon hood will fit any other 56 sedan/wagon
                            I realize the trim is different in 1957, but will it line up and bolt on to a 56?

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                              Rich, do you have a picture of the 56 and a 57? not sure what one I have and how to tell.
                              This is what I found, to hard to tell if the front curves the same from pictures, but it does look like the 57 is too different.

1956;

Name:	nz2010-56ch.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1691518

1957;

Name:	2869856950_be3351d3e5.jpg
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	1691519