Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repaired some exhaust leaks. Sounds better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repaired some exhaust leaks. Sounds better.

The 52 was sounding more and more like an old truck and I knew the exhaust needed something done. Lenard had mentioned damaging a muffler with a backfire and so I thought that's what was wrong. While I was under the car checking the overdrive, I saw spacers on the exhaust studs and when I pushed on the down pipe it swayed side to side. Same on the other side. Aha!
    I was dreading fighting those studs, but finally got to the project. I had a set of manifolds that I had been prepping for another engine that had all the casting flash ground down so I figured I would practice changing studs on those. After heating the old studs and surrounding area cherry red the studs came out with ease. I was now brave enough to face the ones on the car.
    Lenard had used brass nuts on the studs so the head pipes came off fairly easily. The bolts into the heads were a mixed bag. Some came out easy and some required a bit of work, but all came out. I fired up the torch and set about removing the studs, but to my disappointment three of the four twisted off!
    I tried drilling out the broken studs, but made a mess of that so I resorted to the other manifolds. I installed new 1 1/2" studs (no heat riser) and had fresh brass nuts on hand.Joe dug through his inventory and found some new exhaust gaskets so I was ready to go.
    Wednesday morning I started the install. I chose to begin on the driver's side because I knew it would be hardest. The battery tray and steering get in the way and make things tight. Getting some of the the bolts in was a pain. Because of the obstacles, the end bolts are hard to reach and can only be turned a little at a time with a wrench. After getting all the bolts started, I slipped the previously matched gaskets in place and started tightening bolts. It took a while, especially on the end by the steering box, but I got them tight.
    Next was the head pipe, but it fought me all the way. The studs would not line up and the pipe would not come up. Of course, it was hard to see what the problem was lying on my back under the car. I also kept dropping the gasket which was frustrating. I finally had to go back an loosen the rest of the exhaust so it could slide forward.
    Success! The pipe slid in place and I ran up the new nuts. After tightening the exhaust to the back the left side was done. It was now the middle of the afternoon.
    After going back in the house for a bit, I was ready to tackle the right side. The extra room made it lots better. I was able to get the manifold on in a few minutes and I could reach all of the bolts with a ratchet. Compared to the driver's side the manifold just flew on. I tried the head pipe and it just slipped right up. In less than an hour the right side was all tight.
    After replacing the alternator and battery and reconnecting the spark plug wires, I fired up the engine. The difference is amazing! Now instead of a of a coarse roar, the engine has a smooth rumble. It reminds me of some of the duals guys had when I was younger. Most people would never guess this thing is a stockish 259.
    I love driving this car. Now that the shift linkage is adjusted, it is fun to take a turn around town. It doesn't look like much, but little by little I am getting it squared away. Branson in September.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup
Working...
X