Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage tires

Hi all,
    I just received my production order for my 65 commander. It came with 7.35x15 firestone white walls from the factory. Unfortunately, they don't make that size anymore. So, I'd like to stay with an original type bias ply tire. They do make a 7.75 x15 firestone whitewall tire, without the "pie crust" edge on the sidewall. My other option would be a 670 x15 which is an inch taller than a 7.35. Any thoughts on how that would look? Thanks

Nate

Coker now makes a reproduction tire that looks like the old bias-ply tires with the "pie crust" edges and all. Get this, the new tires are RADIALS, that's right the exact look of an old time tire with radial construction and none of the tracking and pulling of the bias ply design.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I've been all over tires this week for my Hawk, so you can try these guys too.

Coker Tire.... http://www.cokertire.com

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I'll probably go with universal since they are close to home. I just wish I could get the original size in a firestone with the pie crust edge.

Comment

Is this the piecrust tire you are talking about?

These classic tires feature vintage Firestone pie crust styling and authentic tread design. They're built in original molds using modern materials right here in the USA! This popular Firestone bias ply pie crust narrow whitewall is also available in other select vintage tire sizes.

Wish selecting a tire was as simple for me.....

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Yup, that's it. I've been looking at that tire, but it's 28.5 inches tall which is an inch taller than the stock 7.35. Wonder how that will look? I don't want it to look like a taxi or something.

Comment

I was going to buy that exact tire for my 1964 Cruiser since it's what originally came on my car but the stated tire height scared me off too. Personally I doubt the stated height of the tire. I ended up ordering the BFGoodrich 6.70 tires and I really like them. The coker part number is 57100 if you look at these tires it states they are 28 inches, I measured mine when I got them and all four where 27.5 inches so I wouldn't hesitate to order the Firestones or the BFGoodrich tires. I ordered mine from Summit Racing, same price and they have free shipping. Best of luck to you.

Joe

Originally posted by Studebaker1965 View Post
              Yup, that's it. I've been looking at that tire, but it's 28.5 inches tall which is an inch taller than the stock 7.35. Wonder how that will look? I don't want it to look like a taxi or something.
              Last edited by irish; 07-26-2014, 10:52 AM.
              sigpic

1962 Daytona
              1964 Cruiser
              And a few others

Comment

Hey Guys,

I posted a tire size conversion chart on another thread that you may find usefull. Comparing the 7.35-15 to a metric tire size it comes between a 195 and 205 modern tire and a 235 tire with a diameter of 28"

The difference can be between a 1" and 1.5" higher on the stance with that pie shell tire. Not to sure if you car would look like a taxi or something.

Tire size comparison the easy way. Use our tire size comparison calculator to compare diameter, width, sidewall, circumference and revolutions per mile.

You seem to be in the same dilemma as me. Afraid to order something online and not like what you get. Good luck.

Allrn
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Joe,
                  Thanks for that information. I think I will go ahead with the 670x15 Firestone...I live close to Universal tire and their prices are similar to other companies I have seen. I think I will be measuring different tires before buying.
                  Allen, I think we are in similar situations, except that I'm not worrying about drags. Let me know what you decide. I'll be measruing tires in the next couple weeks if I get some time to get up to Universal Tire.

Nate

Comment

Check out Diamondback tires. They use new tires of any size or brand and graft the whitewall of your choice on to it. Best of both worlds. New tire technology and warranty with the old look.

Comment

Originally posted by rknight89 View Post
                      Check out Diamondback tires. They use new tires of any size or brand and graft the whitewall of your choice on to it. Best of both worlds. New tire technology and warranty with the old look.
                      i'll be checking this site (and others) out soon. i've had "newer" bias ply tires on both the '40, and now the '51. the handling is just p***-poor compared to the radials i had on the Avanti and others...
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                      X