Bellingham Visit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellingham Visit

I've just got back to my hotel after a lovely visit to Bellingham.

I'd like to thank Brian and Barb Curtis, and Stephanie and James Bell and Stephanie's parents for showing me respectively, their city and environs, and the wonderful Bell collection, the coffee, beer and pizza were excellent.

We swapped shirts - as I left my South Australian shirt in exchange for the Bell T-shirt I'm wearing.

I can highly recommend a visit to these lovely folks, was great to see a police car, Wagonaire with the camper shell, and the engine and other components from Avanti no 1, unfortunately the upholstery shop was shut and Brian was unable to show me the Avanti, but never mind, great to know it'll be on the road again soon.

If I had to choose a favourite, I'd pick the 1958 Packard sedan, just lovely.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to attend their September open day, but a November visit may be possible.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Who owns. The 58 packard sedan? May I see some pictures? Thank yo

Comment

The 58 Packard ht is part of the Bell collection. Hey John, Great meeting you! Happy to be chauffeur!
      Safe travels!

Comment

:-). Nice meeting you also.
        John Clements

Comment

Sorry I missed out on your visit.
          Maybe next time?
          Probably, am displaying my Aussie Ford at the MCACN show in Chicago on November 22 & 23, then likely driving my 1979 Lincoln Continental to South Bend to visit the museum and factory site, then onto Indianapolis meeting Bob P, and leaving my Lincoln with a shipper to ship back to OZ.

Am having a week (undecided) in SF and could Amtrak up your way, just a matter of a top class hotel to stay in.

Must see the "Gahlbeck Collection" you have likely got interesting stuff.
          Last edited by avantilover; 07-26-2014, 11:20 AM.
          StudeDave '57
          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
          SDC Member since 1985

past President
          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
          San Diego Chapter SDC
          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Visiting Bells' is one thing on my wish list. For a while this week it looked like a possibility going up there but conditions changed so maybe another time. A trip to Bellingham rates over the space needle & right on par with the Boeing tour!
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
              Visiting Bells' is one thing on my wish list. For a while this week it looked like a possibility going up there but conditions changed so maybe another time. A trip to Bellingham rates over the space needle & right on par with the Boeing tour!
              Hey Warren,
              If you manage to make the trip maybe you could make a short stop in the Portland area and we can go up there together. I really want to visit Bell's place as well. If I have some advance notice I can probably get some time off work.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I have been to the Bell's collection and know the feeling you had John, We the Studebaker people have many of these kind of places around the states and every one should take time to visit them when in the area or just driving around and looking for something to see. I my self along with my wife, sister in law, daughter and son in law just got back yesterday from a week trip to Washington and Idaho, along the way we took in a side trip to Harrington, Washington to See Allen Bauth's place, as some of you know he does Studebaker restoration for himself and for others. Allen bought an old 1900 Ford dealership building to work out of and it is worth seeing, after a very nice lunch we drove a few more miles to his 5 acres where he lives and also works on projects and stores some on the property, what I am getting at is we need to make a list of these kind of places and go see them when in the area, another is Will and Lorie in Colorado with all the NOS interior parts. here is a few pictures of Allen's set up.

Hope to see more of these kinds of places around the country.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

That's great Bob, have changed my plans and am staying in Vancouver until August 9.
                  John Clements

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                    That's great Bob, have changed my plans and am staying in Vancouver until August 9.

Then there is time for you to drive over to Allen's place, well worth the drive...Bob
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      Hey Warren,
                      If you manage to make the trip maybe you could make a short stop in the Portland area and we can go up there together. I really want to visit Bell's place as well. If I have some advance notice I can probably get some time off work.
                      Sorry Ed, things didn't work out as I had thought. You see I bought a car up by Seattle & if I couldn't get it shipped reasonably I was going to fly up there & drive it back. As it turned out it was loaded onto the truck on Friday & should be down here Wednesday or Thursday. Washington is on my "bucket list" but will have to wait for another time.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                        Sorry Ed, things didn't work out as I had thought. You see I bought a car up by Seattle & if I couldn't get it shipped reasonably I was going to fly up there & drive it back. As it turned out it was loaded onto the truck on Friday & should be down here Wednesday or Thursday. Washington is on my "bucket list" but will have to wait for another time.
                        That's quite alright Warren. I am in no hurry. If getting together when you decide to make the trip sounds like fun, however, send me a PM with date and approximate time and I will do my best to get some time off to join you.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Bob,
                          I really like your idea of putting together a list of interesting Studebaker places to visit. It could be posted on the SDC International website, perhaps. I for one would love to know where these places are so I am sure not to miss one whenever I travel. Right now I could drive right past a great venue and not even know it.
                          Ed Sallia
                          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Stephanie and James Bell were EXCELLENT folks to meet (as strangers) and give me a tour of their collection three years ago.
                            I left as a friend and we have been able to meet us since. They are great ambassadors for the Studebaker Drivers Club!
                            I too think it would be great if all the SDCers out there that have good collections would get their information in TURNING WHEELS. (With the world the way it is, perhaps placing collection addresses on the web would not be the wisest way to do it.)

Comment

Join them at their Open House in September: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=open+house

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X