Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General question - Forum vehicle registry/roster branch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General question - Forum vehicle registry/roster branch?

The current thread in this branch of the forum had me thinking out loud (thread about a 1964 convertible registry). It is clear over the years that a large number of people have collected and maintained registries for various years/models of Studebaker cars and trucks. However, with the passage of time, these collections go unchanged or neglected once the initial interest wains or as the registry holder is no longer able to maintain it on a regular basis.

So my question is, would it be feasible to have a new branch (could squeeze it above that stove hugger branch) in the Forum dedicated to only registries? Could title it "Studebaker Vehicle Registries". Another question might be how specific would one want to get - just a single thread for 1960 Larks or separate threads for 1960 HTs, 1960 convertibles, 1960 4 door sedans, etc...

It would free up any one person from compiling and maintaining the information, it could be updated by anyone who registers on the forum, and it could include any amount of photos/links/specifications that the vehicle owner might want to share. Could also benefit someone who is trying to determine what might be original to their particular vehicle or simply trying to figure out what kind of Studebaker grand-paw has out in the garage.

This is not meant to steal any thunder from anyone already maintaining a registry, just thought it might be any easy way to organize and put it out in the Studebaker world. All the information would be maintained in perpetuity as long as there are people on the forum. Just a thought and wanted to put it out on the table - always interested in seeing how this resource can be utilized by everyone interested.
    Last edited by 62champ; 07-25-2014, 12:25 PM.

I like the idea. We do not have a registry for Transtars.

Comment

Nor do we have one for "Bullet Nose" cars.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I think various registries are a great idea... but, with a caveat; personal info about the owner(s) would not be available online. The reasons for the caveat are, I think, obvious. However, having dealt with rosters of various sorts in the past, I found it difficult to find "keepers" who exhibited more than a passing fancy for their proclaimed "life love," which made it tough to maintain meaningful long-term listings.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
            I think various registries are a great idea... but, with a caveat; personal info about the owner(s) would not be available online. The reasons for the caveat are, I think, obvious.
            Personal information would be up to the person posting - but it would not need to be anything more than "Phil in Illinois". If someone on the forum wanted more info, they could PM them.

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
            However, having dealt with rosters of various sorts in the past, I found it difficult to find "keepers" who exhibited more than a passing fancy for their proclaimed "life love," which made it tough to maintain meaningful long-term listings.
            That is what might make this easier - it would not be up to one person to maintain the list - it would stay there and be amended with each entry.

Like I said, this is just an idea and I was curious to see if other thought it might be viable. Of course it would only be as good as those who wished to contribute to it...

Comment

To: 62champ....I like your idea. As you may or may not know, I've been compiling a new roster of existing 1955 President Speedsters. This newer roster is based on two earlier rosters, one compiled in 1988 and the other in 1993. After reading the comments concerning listing the name of the owner, addresses, phone numbers, etc. (Many of these concerns I've had myself) I'm strongly leaning towards simply listing info about the particular car itself, in proper serial number sequence, and perhaps the State or Country the car is presently in, with no mention of the owner at all. After all, a vehicle roster is really about the cars, not the folks that own them. And remember, we are all just caretakers of these machines!...Comments?

Comment

We should all appreciate the effort that SN-60 put into his registry but its time to make it public. I would love to see your Speedster registry in any form. Theres always a tendancy to try to get "Something" perfect and complete and it usually doesnt work out. The person gathering the info loses interest, gets sick or gets in an accident and the info is lost. I am very much in favor of making the info visable and the Forum is a logical place for registries IMHO.

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                To: 62champ....I like your idea. As you may or may not know, I've been compiling a new roster of existing 1955 President Speedsters. This newer roster is based on two earlier rosters, one compiled in 1988 and the other in 1993. After reading the comments concerning listing the name of the owner, addresses, phone numbers, etc. (Many of these concerns I've had myself) I'm strongly leaning towards simply listing info about the particular car itself, in proper serial number sequence, and perhaps the State or Country the car is presently in, with no mention of the owner at all. After all, a vehicle roster is really about the cars, not the folks that own them. And remember, we are all just caretakers of these machines!...Comments?
                Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                  Nor do we have one for "Bullet Nose" cars.
                  i'd love to see and contribute my info.

i can't take this on right now, but Ed???
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post

Kerry, I'm thinking there is a learning curve on how to do this and right now I am up to my armpits in alligators (figuratively speaking). But, hey, if a registry page gets started who knows who might step up to the challenge.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                      The current thread in this branch of the forum had me thinking out loud (thread about a 1964 convertible registry). It is clear over the years that a large number of people have collected and maintained registries for various years/models of Studebaker cars and trucks. However, with the passage of time, these collections go unchanged or neglected once the initial interest wains or as the registry holder is no longer able to maintain it on a regular basis.

So my question is, would it be feasible to have a new branch (could squeeze it above that stove hugger branch) in the Forum dedicated to only registries? Could title it "Studebaker Vehicle Registries". Another question might be how specific would one want to get - just a single thread for 1960 Larks or separate threads for 1960 HTs, 1960 convertibles, 1960 4 door sedans, etc...

It would free up any one person from compiling and maintaining the information, it could be updated by anyone who registers on the forum, and it could include any amount of photos/links/specifications that the vehicle owner might want to share. Could also benefit someone who is trying to determine what might be original to their particular vehicle or simply trying to figure out what kind of Studebaker grand-paw has out in the garage.

This is not meant to steal any thunder from anyone already maintaining a registry, just thought it might be any easy way to organize and put it out in the Studebaker world. All the information would be maintained in perpetuity as long as there are people on the forum. Just a thought and wanted to put it out on the table - always interested in seeing how this resource can be utilized by everyone interested.
                      This is a very interesting idea and I would appreciate receiving advice as to how it could be implemented. Privacy would be my biggest concern.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Privacy shouldn't be a concern if the registries just say 1966 Daytona Sport Sedan 66V1234 John Clements South Australia.

There are some dead links in the registry listing, time for an update???
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

There are currently several truck registries that are maintained, one for factory 4 WD vehicles, one for Scotsman trucks and one for 1945 M-15 C-9's. The keeper has been compiling this data since becoming involved with Studebakers 45 years ago and the records include vehicles he has seen at shows, found in his travels, trucks found for sale on Craigslist or e-Bay and even vehicles that have been scrapped. He may also have a small listing of Studebaker based fire apparatus as well.

Many of these listings contain the owners information at the time of inclusion (which may no longer be valid) which would need to be excluded.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post

My thinking is that by personally posting the information on a given thread, it would free up any one person from having to compile and organize any one specific registry - sort of free flowing like any post is - anyone could post a new entry. Just have to make sure people would understand what the threads are for, and not a place to complement someone on the vehicle or ask questions about where they got those spark plug wires.

And I would think one could post vehicle information they know about. See a truck you have never seen before at a local show? - take a couple of pictures, ask the owner if you can get a look at the serial plate, and then let them know you will be putting this information into an online-registry of "such and such" Studebaker trucks that they can go and look at on-line. In those cases I would not even lists the owners name, maybe a general area where the vehicle lives.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                              My thinking is that by personally posting the information on a given thread, it would free up any one person from having to compile and organize any one specific registry - sort of free flowing like any post is - anyone could post a new entry. Just have to make sure people would understand what the threads are for, and not a place to complement someone on the vehicle or ask questions about where they got those spark plug wires.

And I would think one could post vehicle information they know about. See a truck you have never seen before at a local show? - take a couple of pictures, ask the owner if you can get a look at the serial plate, and then let them know you will be putting this information into an online-registry of "such and such" Studebaker trucks that they can go and look at on-line. In those cases I would not even lists the owners name, maybe a general area where the vehicle lives.
                              Well, if a new branch is created on this Studebaker Forum that can handle lists of the various Studebaker rosters/registries, count me in with all the info I've collected on existing (and no longer existing) President Speedsters. There's a fellow out on the west coast who's also been collecting info on existng Speedsters, and hopefully he'll also become interested in this idea and participate. Good luck with your idea '62 champ'!

Comment

Working...
                              X