Indy car replica gets tires and wheels mounted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy car replica gets tires and wheels mounted

Some things have more details associated with them than one might think. In this case, it has taken what seems like forever to get the splined hubs on the axles, the tires on the wheels, and the wheels on the axles. Today, however, it did come together for a bunch of stuff.

I took the MWS wire wheels and Coker Excelsior tires to Fred Belanger at Wheel Repair Service in Auburn, Mass. for mounting and balancing. It took longer - and cost a LOT more - than I planned, but the job was done well. See Fred in the photo of the wheels and tires. The Excelsior Stahl tires are 6.00-6.50/18 in the front, 7.00/18 in the rear. These are a new radial tire made to look like old bias ply tires. Fred prepped the wheels, installed the rim bands, special racing tubes with brass stems, and the tires without scratching the silver powder-coat finish on the wheels. Then he balanced them the old-school way on a bearing-mounted spindle using adhesive weights on the inside of the rim. The wheels and tires weigh about 55 lbs each. The steel splined hubs and drums add another ~40-50 lbs each, so there is a lot of unsprung weight, not even counting the axle itself and part of the spring weight.

I re-assembled the rear axle from the 1928 GB-W sedan and put the rear splined hub and drum assemblies on the NOS axle shafts. I needed about .001-.006" in-out play on the axles, but didn't have enough shims, so I had the local laser-cutting shop make a bunch of new hex-shaped shims from 0.005" steel shim stock. I added six of them to get the right amount of free play, glad I made eight of them. I would have hand-cut them from plastic sheet, but wasn't sure how they would hold up to grease, oil, and heat for 75 more years.

It was an adrenaline high to actually push the wheels onto the splined hubs, wind on the spinners, and see wheels and tires on the chassis, at last. It's still a long way from being a car, but every bit of progress feels good. I think I'm about ready to let the chassis rest on its own wheels for the first time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_axle_shaft_install.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1744349Click image for larger version

Name:	wheels-tires_fred-bellanger_WRS_072214.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1744350Click image for larger version

Name:	wheels-tires-mounted_072214.jpg
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1744351Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel-tire_rear_072214.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1744352Click image for larger version

Name:	wheels_front_072214.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1744353
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

That looks great Gary! Great choice of rubber. Things usually cost more than projected, but good work is not cheap.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Hi Gary, Job well done! Coming together nicely.
      Thanks for the updates!
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Looks really nice Gary.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

'Looks good, Gary.

Yeah, I'll bet Fred got $10 apiece for mount and balance...but as you say, it was worth it to have it done professionally. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Every detail looks fantastic.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Gary, I like the way you think-----and the work you do...Ed
              ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

sals54

Comment

If I lived closer I would be coming over every day to view the project, even when I knew you had taken a break.
                  sigpic
                  Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Sal, that's no black "derelict"! That's my Executive Blue '65 Wagonaire that we just drove to the Dover meet, 1100 miles round trip. Even 16 years and 45,000 miles after restoration, it's still good enough to take a 2nd place in the judging. Now my '63 Wagonaire is another story completely, but it too will eventually get finished - maybe AFTER the Indy car, LOL.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	wagonaire_grays_gristmill_090410.jpg
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	1691437
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

I bet it is a great feeling Gary to know that you can now push this racer around. Congrats on completion of this step and hope to see a finished product in Providence in 2016.
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Looking good, Gary!
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

That is looking GREAT ! Really like the tread.
                          61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Looking good, Gary. I am surprised at how shallow the frame rails look at the rear. Did the factory Indy cars have frame reinforcements done to them?
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord, all of the Studebaker Indy car bodies and frames - and many others of the period - came from the Rigling shop in Indianapolis. The frame rails are about 5.5" deep between the axles, skinnier at either end, with a 2" flange width. Metal thickness is about 0.165", plain mild steel. The with 2 passengers and gas will still only weigh about 2700-2800 lbs, maybe less. Much of the weight is unsprung, so the chassis doesn't have to be really strong. The rear of the chassis doesn't carry much weight, just the gas tank and the hollow aluminum rear body shell, plus the rear spring mounts. The engine is mounted solidly to the frame, no rubber, and serves as a major stiffener in torsion as well as front-back.
                              Gary Ash
                              Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
                              '65 Wagonaire Commander
                              '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Working...
                              X