Thoughts On V8 Serial Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts On V8 Serial Numbers

Running across some leftover 56J parts today got me to wondering why Studebaker decided they needed to differentiate between Packard engines destined to be mated to Twin-Ultramatics and those destined to be joined to standard transmissions. They are exactly the same 352 engines. The only difference I can think of is slightly different throttle linkages. Was that enough to require a different starting letter for the engine's serial number? Maybe Studebaker wanted to more easily track how many of each type 56J they built? The same is somewhat true of Studebaker including the 'S' in '57-'58 Golden Hawk 289 engine serial numbers, although on those engines the compression was lowered from the regular 289's..a minor difference, but still a difference. I understand using the 'L' on the '57-'58 Packard 289 Studebaker engines, as these were destined for a separate line of cars.

Perhaps the machining on the end of the crankshafts were different for the addition of a pilot bearing?
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
      Perhaps the machining on the end of the crankshafts were different for the addition of a pilot bearing?
      Good thought, but I've personally removed a 352 from a '55 Clipper with Ultramatic, and installed that engine into an overdrive equipped 56J. The crank pilot bearing only had to be pulled from the 56J's original engine and pushed into the Clipper engine's crank....machine work already done at Packard. (Ball type pilot bearing, unlike the Studebaker pilot bushing)

Comment

Maybe there were some internal differences in the engines? I seem to remember that the Chevy sixes used with Powerglide were sought after by rodders to use with a stick, because they sported slightly higher compression to compensate for the power lost in the automatic drive. Perhaps Packard was doing something similar?
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The variants of the Packard V8 and Studebaker V8 were similar, but there are many minor differences among the various years and models. All of the Packard V8s and all of the Studebaker V8s externally appear similar, so to keep the 224", 259" and 289" (There were never any 304.5"s; that's an urban legend ;>) which often had the same casting number, differing serial numbers were helpful and the Packard 320", 352" and 374" did have different casting numbers, but looked the same externally.

When the assembly line was dressing the engine, the serial number helped keep track of which got which of the aforementioned throttle linkage, transmission kickdown, distributor advance curve, carburetors, compression. On the Packard V8s, there is also the dowel in the top of the bellhousing, those for the '56J have a different oil pump and did not get the plumbing for the vacuum line out of the block. The senior cars got Rochester carbs, Delco distributor, starter and generator. The Clippers and '56J got Carter and Autolite. Those going into the Hash cars were completely different oil pan, oil pump and compression ratio.

So, yes, the serial numbers were vital for the assembly process. Then, once back for service in the dealership, the tuneup specs and running changes were referenced to the serial number.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

That sounds reasonable to me Jack!

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              /CUT/The variants of the Packard V8 and Studebaker V8 were similar, but there are many minor differences among the various years and models. All of the Packard V8s and all of the Studebaker V8s externally appear similar, so to keep the 224", 259" and 289" (There were never any 304.5"s; that's an urban legend ;>) which often had the same casting number, differing serial numbers were helpful and the Packard 320", 352" and 374" did have different casting numbers, but looked the same externally.jack vines
              Hmm, me thinks there is a LAUGHING FACE missing there somewhere! Otherwise, a few R3 and R4 owners would disagree with that!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X