Overdrive not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Overdrive not working

The overdrive on my 54 Land Cruiser quit on my way home from Dover. Working through the trouble shooting guide in the shop manual, I get to the part when you ground the wire to the governor.......the relay clicks but the solenoid does not. Am I to assume that I need to replace the solenoid ? Can it be replaced without removing the transmission ?

Thanks for any help

Haven't done this in a while, but I'd check for power getting to the solenoid after you ground the governor wire. The solenoid can definitely be changed with the trans in the car.

Comment

BE SURE to check all connections and as SN said check power. There's good info on the net , on BW overdrive, step by step.

Comment

Solenoid is on the driver's side of the trans.. Remove 2 bolts, wires, rotate about 30 degrees and it should slide out. Bench test before replacing. ground on the neg. side , if 12 volt neg ground, attach wire to positive and touch big post. If the plunger extends, solenoid is good. Check harness to see if it's rubbing against anything and maybe has worn through and shorting out. Check all connections, fuse, wire to governor, reverse lock out. OD on my Hudson had a wire that had laid on the back of the block and caused mine to quit working. Check seals/gasket on solenoid and governor. Can get oil in them and cause trouble.
        Hope this helps,
        Kim

Comment

'54? Should have a fuse on the relay. I think the relay will click even if the fuse is bad, but the solenoid won't, for sure. Those old glass fuses had a tendency for the link inside to work free of the solder that holds it on the end cap, resulting in a fuse that looks OK, but won't pass current. First off, try a new fuse, and make sure the contact surfaces of the spring clips are clean and bright. Eliminate the easy ones first!
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Fuse and relay check out. Tomorrow I'll check power to the solenoid as SN-60 suggested.

Comment

Working...
            X