Newbie question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question.

Hi all, brand new here so please be gentle.

Here's the story. For a long time now I've loved the Golden Hawk. I can't remember when I first saw one or read about one but it's a car that has stuck with me. Problem is, coming from Australia they're a bit rare. I've never even seen one in the flesh!

Now life has changed. I'm in a position in life that I can get one if I want. Benefits of aging eh? Anyhow, I've been looking at cars everywhere on the net but all that happens is I confuse myself. That's why I'm here. Thought I'd post cars for sale and find out if anyone here knows anything about them. I hope it's okay to do that.

I'll wait for a nod from someone before I post a link.

Cheers.

Post away. There are a bunch of Studebakers in Australia and many forum members are also from your side of the world. Welcome to the forum.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

There is? Cool. Thanks.

Okay, I'll start with a pretty one from St Louis. Looks a dream but probably asking way too much, especially by the time I got it back to Oz. So pick it apart people and I'll check in later. Just finished nightshift so off to bed. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum!

This Australian Member Brian Greenall, imports a LOT of Studes. and must have the best possible means of getting them there, never cheap, but maybe cheaper than some sources!

02-13-2013, 03:38 AM #45 packardHawk58

President Member
        Join DateApr 2009LocationMelbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you are looking at Hawks in this price range, it would be to your benefit to catch a 'red eye' flight and check the car out personally. They be a lot of issues that people you trust will miss, and you will catch when you recieve the car............Always ask if the "RUST" option is a freebie...........
          Good luck, and welcome to the Forum.

Comment

Gooday mate,
            Best of luck with that, I think you're going to have to settle for a lefty, There's a couple over here and I think one in the Newcastle club but not sure, I know Brian Henderson had a '56/58 I think when he worked for Channel 9 in Sydney back in the day.
            I've been looking for that car for years and never found it, lots of rumors through.
            You should wait for Chris Skinner the Queensland parts guy known on here as Stude Dude to reply to your thread I think he knows all the ropes, imported a few cars and loves a chat!
            Cheers
            Wayne
            Last edited by WayneXG95; 07-17-2014, 06:48 PM.

Comment

I'd be glad to check out the St.Louis car for you, it is only a few blocks away from my shop. Private message me for further details.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The St. Louis Museum had that advertised a while ago. Is it still on the block? Certainly appears sweet, and the price seems to be in the market.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

hello all , chris skinner, studebaker parts Queensland has a classified section on his web site i think, there was a nice right hand drive black golden hawk for sale a while ago ,it may be sold by now but they do come up for sale in Australia now and again , keep looking on the web, cheers from roger
                  R.A.Jennings

Comment

Hi Crankysod, welcome to the forum!

We may be able to offer some assistance. Send me an email - chris@studeparts.com.au and hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

The black '58 Golden Hawk on our website (www.studeparts.com.au) has sold to a new owner in Airlie Beach.

Our best guess is that approx. 30 1958 Golden Hawk were built in South Bend (RHC) for export to Australia, and a very high number of those cars have survived. Many other finned 1959-60 models were also exported until local assembly began in 1961.

So there are many 'finned' Hawk out there to chose from, but only a very small number of those are actually Golden Hawks.

Chris.

Comment

Thanks for the replies people. Very encouraging.

Just to clarify, I won't ask anyone to go check out a vehicle for me. That's asking a bit much but thanks for the offer. I'm just asking for a bit of background info before I put any inspection plan into place.

Chris, expect an email soon. I had no idea that there were that many here. I've seen a couple of finned Hawks tried to be passed off as Goldens too.

Thanks again everybody, I was looking for connections and you've got me off to a good start.

Comment

Working...
                      X