Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: hub puller

Hey,

Is this the correct kind of hub puller to get the drums off my '53 Starliner?

(Also-- I know how to use this, but how do you get 'em back on?)

Thanks,

Matt

That is a great puller, but you can get a front hub puller for modern cars at the FLAPS for a little over $20 that works just great. In fact, many will just loan it to you. That I what I used on my Avantis. If you were doing these on a regular basis, or course, this would one to get. To get them back on, you just insert the keyway correctly, bevel side down and to the front, and just torque them up WITHOUT any grease or other lube.

Last edited by 64studeavanti; 07-16-2014, 09:50 AM.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

It is!
      Going back together is simple. Back off the shoe adjustment and slip the hub over the tapered axle. Make certain you use no lubricants on the hub and axle! THEY MUST GO TOGETHER DRY !!!
      Insert the key, tap it flush, add your washer and nut, then torque 170-200 ft-lb. Re-adjust your brake shoes.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have seen some really stubborn rear drums where I was glad to have the knock off type as that Snap-on puller is. That puller is probably the best you will find for rear table axles.

I have also had success with other styles.
        One similar to this also works well but I recommend finding one made in the USA, some of those cheap ones tend to break when under pressure.

As indicated above, you do not need a puller or any tools to reinstall the drums
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

There's one for sale on the Stude swap board. Ad Number: 13765 - under July
          Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 07-16-2014, 10:20 AM.

Comment

And that seems like a fair price

The Snap-on you first asked about is also a fair price for one along with the box.
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks for the advice, everyone. But by the way, what's the difference between front hub pullers and rear hub pullers?

Comment

Originally posted by handworn View Post
                Thanks for the advice, everyone. But by the way, what's the difference between front hub pullers and rear hub pullers?
                Everything - You do not need a puller tool for the fronts.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well that's not always the case with fronts ,when these cars have sat in fields/woods for decades and every thing is fused together .
                  Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

If you are talking about the one I posted, not much. On some modern front wheel drive cars, the bearing is pressed into the hub and the hub and bearing assembly is pressed onto the spindle. The FLAPS don't deal with pressed on rear hubs as those haven't been used for over 50 years. Any of the pullers mentions should work for either. However, on 50 year old hubs, the heavier ones may work better. As I said, I used the FLAPS one and was able to pull the hubs on both a 63 and 64 Avanti.
                    78 Avanti RQB 2792
                    64 Avanti R1 R5408
                    63 Avanti R1 R4551
                    63 Avanti R1 R2281
                    62 GT Hawk V15949
                    56 GH 6032504
                    56 GH 6032588
                    55 Speedster 7160047
                    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

We have just had a run of the original 'solid type' hub pullers made. Copied from an original Kent-Moore Studebaker dealer tool, they are a work of art. Cost you $125 ea plus postage (A$).

Chris
                      STUDEBAKER of AUSTRALIA

Comment

Here is the one that Bob Peterson and myself use at CandB Studebaker's.
                        Notice the weld , it had to be re-welded because we used it so many times it broke.
                        We still beat the crap out of it.

Comment

Then how do you get the drums off on the fronts? Please excuse my ignorance about these things; I'm an old hand at identifying old cars, but a complete newbie at working on them.

Originally posted by studegary View Post

Comment

After you have the front wheel off, you just remove the dust cap, pull out the cotter pin, and remove the spindle nut. Usually, if you pull lightly on the drum the outer bearing and washer will slide out and can be removed. On some cars the drum can then be pulled off, but if there is a ridge inside the drum you will have to back off the brake shoes to get clearance.
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

"Here is the one that Bob Peterson and myself use at CandB Studebaker's.
                              Notice the weld , it had to be re-welded because we used it so many times it broke.
                              We still beat the crap out of it."

That's very much like the one I bought from Chuck Collins. The trick he taught me was to back the center screw off until the flange sits about 1/8" proud of the flange on the axle hub. Put all the lug nuts on and evenly snug them. Then tighten them like you were putting on a wheel. After a very short time - POP - and you have the hub loose from the axle. It has worked that way every time I've used it. Almost too easy. I still have my heavy, unwieldy three-legged puller, but it's in a canvas bag in the back of the shop nowadays.
                              sigpic
                              JohnP, driving & reviving
                              60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Working...
                              X