Buttercup gets a new rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Buttercup gets a new rear axle

Last week I went to a junk yard and pulled a 2 wheel drive, disc brake, rear axle assy out of a '99 Chevy S-10 Blazer. It's a 3.08. That just won't do.
    Yesterday afternoon I got out the ole Summit Racing catalog and ordered a 4.10 R&P and a Ratech installation kit. Ups delivered it this morning. Good service, I must say.
    With this 4.10, I think Buttercup is going to come off the line quite well. And with his 259 and 3 speed O/D he should be able to hold his own blasting down the Interstate.

Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 11-13-2017, 04:24 PM.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Thumbs up, Jerry. Let me know how comfy it is at about 70. I want to change my 3.42 to 4.10

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
      Thumbs up, Jerry. Let me know how comfy it is at about 70. I want to change my 3.42 to 4.10
      Thanks Tex.
      The 4.10 becomes equivalent to a 2.87 when you drop it into overdrive. Add to that the tall tires I like to run on the rear (265-75-15's), at 70 MPH the engine should just be chugging along.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Ya gotta love Summit. Super fast shipping.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          Ya gotta love Summit. Super fast shipping.
          And FREE!!!
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

did a R&P change on a 12 bolt chevy recently. Carrier shims outside of the carrier bearing unlike dana's. I struggled with the oem style shim pack. While setting up the .010 carrier preload it was impossible to get the shims in without ruining them. (GM doesn't use a case spreader like dana) anyway I found some interlocking shims that allow the smaller shims to sandwich between two of the thicker shims and will allow you to tap them in without destroying them in the process. Good call on the gear change the OD equipped cars like steep gearing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2643.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1691356
            Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
            Last week I went to a junk yard and pulled a 2 wheel drive, disc brake, rear axle assy out of a '99 Chevy S-10 Blazer. It's a 3.08. That just won't do.
            Yesterday afternoon I got out the ole Summit Racing catalog and ordered a 4.10 R&P and a Ratech installation kit. Ups delivered it this morning. Good service, I must say.
            With this 4.10, I think Buttercup is going to come off the line quite well. And with his 259 and 3 speed O/D he should be able to hold his own blasting down the Interstate.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Jerry post some pictures and let us know how the s-10 rear end fits in.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty nut garage View Post
                (GM doesn't use a case spreader like dana)
                The GM 10 bolt 7 1/2 and 7 5/8's do.
                Here's a pic of my selfmade case spreader.

Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 11-13-2017, 04:22 PM.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                  Jerry post some pictures and let us know how the s-10 rear end fits in.
                  I have pix of Leo, my '55 HT but I can't find them since webshots went down.
                  Tex has pix of his Saturday Night Special ('53 Cp.) with a disc brake S-10 rear axle. He has my permission to post them in this thread.
                  Jerry Forrester
                  Forrester's Chrome
                  Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I have pix of Leo, my '55 HT but I can't find them since webshots went down.
                    Tex has pix of his Saturday Night Special ('53 Cp.) with a disc brake S-10 rear axle. He has my permission to post them in this thread.
                    I do have a few, Jerry. May not be too good but here some are:

[URL=http://s307.photobucket.com/user/Flashback53/media/53getsexhaust019.jpg.html][/

Last edited by Flashback; 07-17-2014, 03:21 PM.

Comment

I do have a few, Jerry. May not be too good but here some are:
                      Looking good Tex.
                      What size wheels and tires are you running?
                      What are the clearances between the tire and spring and tire and fender lip?
                      Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Looking good Tex.
                        What size wheels and tires are you running?
                        What are the clearances between the tire and spring and tire and fender lip?
                        The wheels are 69 corvette. They are 8" with a 4" back spacing. The tires are 255-60-15. I have about 1/2" clearance between the tire and spring. About 1 1/2" at fender lip. Had no clearance issues (scrubbing) in the 2000 miles I drove it. Course you see the 2" lowering blocks. I also moved the axle centerline 5/8" forward.

Comment

I also moved the axle centerline 5/8" forward.
                          Why? I'm not questioning your judgement, I just want to know why. I may want to do the same.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

After a lot o measuring, I reached the conclusion this would put the D/S yoke back in the same position as the original. This made my driveshaft bolt back in (using the combo joint,372, I believe?) with the slip joint right. Maybe just me. Some say I am crazy about this part? I checked the center bolt centerline to the yoke cup depth and kept coming to this measurement.

PS. Bout how many thousands do you spread the axle with the tool? You gonna give us some info on the gear change?

Comment

After a lot o measuring, I reached the conclusion this would put the D/S yoke back in the same position as the original. This made my driveshaft bolt back in (using the combo joint,372, I believe?) with the slip joint right. Maybe just me. Some say I am crazy about this part? I checked the center bolt centerline to the yoke cup depth and kept coming to this measurement.
                              Does the tire look correct after repositioning the tire 5/8" forward in the fender well when looking at the car in profile?
                              Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Working...
                              X