No announcement yet.

truck glass install help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: truck glass install help.

hey guys,

I got a 49 r5 pickup and im doing a complete resto. I bought all new window rubber and parts from studebaker international and all my original glass "WAS" in good shape.

We tried to reinstall the back window and the fit was so tight that the glass cracked trying to get it back in. So now i'm going to buy a complete kit of new glass that come pre tinted and install it.

I was wondering if any of you smart individuals has any install instructions or tips??? it was so hard and and such a tight fit that it didnt seem like it would even work???

any help you can provide i'd appreciate!

Did you search the resources on the SDC website? I saw a good write up somewhere on installing truck glass. It may have been Bob Johnstone's site.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

How are you trying to install the back glass? What method? You know, this glass has to installed from the inside. If you don't have a shop manual, refer to some of the pages here:
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Yes, broken glass is a real nuisance. I went though this with my M5 truck. It really does take 2 or 3 people to do this job. Wrap a piece of 1/8" cord around the rubber gasket, place the ends inside the cab, squirt lots of Windex on the rubber and window frame. One person gets inside and grabs the cord ends, pulling while the other two massage the glass and push it into the opening. The gasket is supposed to get pulled in as the cord unwraps. The "pushers" are supposed to place their hands near where the cord is unwrapping. If it isn't working, go back and start from the beginning.
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Make doubly sure that the gasket is facing the right way as well!

Comment

Thanks guys I'll take all the advice into consideration and check my shop manual as well as the links.

I just wish there was some video. I learn best that way sometimes instructions leave out a lot of details.

Comment

Working...
            X