Studebaker Bus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Bus

When I rode the school busses in the 50's and 60's, our local school system leased the busses from a Studebaker deaaler in Momence Illinois. This dealer maintained the busses, and they were stored at their location each evening. Does anyone else remeber Studebaker busses, and are their any still in existance? The body was probably Blue Bird, or Thompson, but the emblem on the front hood clearly said STUDEBAKER.

Studebaker buses still surface from time to time. I never saw one actually in use in Arkansas when I was in school in the 50s and 60s. The oldest one I ever saw was outside of Rapid City, South Dakota, a 1929 model. The body was mostly wood and needed a ton of work, but I would have loved to be in on rebuilding it.[]

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
    since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Studebaker buses still surface from time to time. I never saw one actually in use in Arkansas when I was in school in the 50s and 60s. The oldest one I ever saw was outside of Rapid City, South Dakota, a 1929 model. The body was mostly wood and needed a ton of work, but I would have loved to be in on rebuilding it.[]

1952 Champion Starlight since October,1971. 1962 Daytona
      since May, 2007.Searcy,Arkansas
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

We used to ride a '50 Stude shorty bus back in the late '60's as transportation across town (2 miles) for the football team to get from the school to the practice field. Location was west central Missouri. Lots of fun with 35 football players in full garb sitting two to a seat and the center aisle standing full. You'd never get away with that now from the safety stand point.

As for any still around there was one down in Tuscon, Arizona area last spring that was for sale. It looked like one that had been at Chuck Nagel's at one time from some of the pictures I had seen. "62 vintage I believe.

'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
        '64 Daytona HT
        \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
        \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

We used to ride a '50 Stude shorty bus back in the late '60's as transportation across town (2 miles) for the football team to get from the school to the practice field. Location was west central Missouri. Lots of fun with 35 football players in full garb sitting two to a seat and the center aisle standing full. You'd never get away with that now from the safety stand point.

As for any still around there was one down in Tuscon, Arizona area last spring that was for sale. It looked like one that had been at Chuck Nagel's at one time from some of the pictures I had seen. "62 vintage I believe.

'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
          '64 Daytona HT
          \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
          \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

There is one in Morganton, NC. It has been put on a Dodge Duelly chasis with the Cummins engine. It is driven quit a lot.

Joe Roberts
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

There is one in Morganton, NC. It has been put on a Dodge Duelly chasis with the Cummins engine. It is driven quit a lot.

Joe Roberts
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Our school district did not have Studebaker school busses. I have seen a few over the years and the only one that I have ridden in was in South Bend about 35 years ago.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Our school district did not have Studebaker school busses. I have seen a few over the years and the only one that I have ridden in was in South Bend about 35 years ago.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

my grandfather drove a stude bus in the 40's west of springfield,ill..there was a shorty sitting outside anna,ill not long ago. it had advertising painted on it.....dan

Comment

my grandfather drove a stude bus in the 40's west of springfield,ill..there was a shorty sitting outside anna,ill not long ago. it had advertising painted on it.....dan

Comment

Here's a 1948 M16 bus that was on eBay last year:

Big 6 and Hill Holder equipped, with a 20-passenger Superior body. Nice!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Here's a 1948 M16 bus that was on eBay last year:

Big 6 and Hill Holder equipped, with a 20-passenger Superior body. Nice!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Sorry -- Just found this buried in the forums from six years ago and thought it was cool. I love the front end for the trucks this year, and have never seen a bus version...
                            sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                            Regal Deluxe Trim
                            Automatic transmission
                            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

This 1950 2R16A joined my Fleet early last year~

I was with my mother the day I bought her. Mom picked the name 'Nelly' for my new Stude.
                              Like the '48 pictured above Nelly has a Superior body, but the builders' plate for the body rates her at 48 passengers.

But Nelly is an RV now~

She is now powered by an old 259 from a '57 Commander.
                              Last edited by StudeDave57; 08-30-2013, 11:16 AM. Reason: &$#$^% typo!!!
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                              San Diego Chapter SDC
                              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...