Got this today and need some info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got this today and need some info

Got this at a friend's house today. I am wanting to know if this could be a salesman sample of a Studebaker wagon. I know there are some nuts on it that would have not been during that time period, but the wagon has been taken apart and put back together. Do not know if they lost the original nuts or if it is newer than that. Any help would be appreciated. I do not know anything about it, and am very curious. There are not any markings on it that I can find anywhere. The friend that I got it from was a Studebaker collector who passed away 11 years ago.The wagon is 37 in. long and 15 in. wide. Thanks for any information you are able to give me.
    Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Originally posted by dusty taylor View Post
    Got this at a friend's house today. I am wanting to know if this could be a salesman sample of a Studebaker wagon. I know there are some nuts on it that would have not been during that time period, but the wagon has been taken apart and put back together. Do not know if they lost the original nuts or if it is newer than that. Any help would be appreciated. I do not know anything about it, and am very curious. There are not any markings on it that I can find anywhere. The friend that I got it from was a Studebaker collector who passed away 11 years ago.The wagon is 37 in. long and 15 in. wide. Thanks for any information you are able to give me.
    Well Dusty I think you are going to be surprised.

Many years ago, at the Studebaker International Meet in Rapid City, South Dakota, my wife purchased for me what appears to be a duplicate of the wagon you have illustrated. The vendor told us this wagon is one of eight that were hand built by a gentleman in North Dakota, who was then deceased. The dimensions of yours are within a 1/4" of mine.

Our recollection is that Thelma paid between $150.00 and $175.00 for this beautiful item. If everything checks out, then there are six more out there somewhere. I since have added two correct-size horses which, when I finally get around to it, will have replica harnesses suitable to the time.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Thanks for the information. I didn't know if i was studebaker related or not. The friend always thought it was. Thanks again.

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Looks like a great find. I was wondering if it was a kit from this Ebay seller. Seems like he has been selling a drawing blueprint for these from the time I discovered Ebay many years ago. At one time, they offered completed wagons, kits, and wheels. Now...it looks like they only sell the plans.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
          Looks like a great find. I was wondering if it was a kit from this Ebay seller. Seems like he has been selling a drawing blueprint for these from the time I discovered Ebay many years ago. At one time, they offered completed wagons, kits, and wheels. Now...it looks like they only sell the plans.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harvard-Stud...item43cc3fa3f2
          Actually John, upon closer inspection. the side sections on Dusty's wagon show 2 elongated rectangles, whereas on mine there are 6 rectangles with the letters "STUDEBAKER" inscribed in the lower middle section. On the plans offered on eBay there are 3 rectangles with notched corners and the letters "STUDEBAKER" inscribed in the center section. So obviously there are 3 different version out there.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Bumping to the top.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the 'plans' being sold on ebay currently are to build a full size Studebaker JR wagon, box probably 40-46 inches long. The 37 inches long that Dusty refers to is the total length including the hitch. I believe his box is 20 inches long. I believe I recall seeing one of this size on eBay sometime back but the start price was high and it didn't sell. stupak

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
                If I'm not mistaken, the 'plans' being sold on ebay currently are to build a full size Studebaker JR wagon, box probably 40-46 inches long. The 37 inches long that Dusty refers to is the total length including the hitch. I believe his box is 20 inches long. I believe I recall seeing one of this size on eBay sometime back but the start price was high and it didn't sell. stupak
                You are correct in that the total length includes the hitch. The unit I have, and described in post #2, has a 22" long box. If in fact there were 8 of these models hand made, as I was led to believe, it stands to reason there could be minor differences in the finished size. Do you recall what the start price on eBay was for the model you saw?

Stu Chapman

Comment

The man that owned it, he had got it from a studebaker parts dealer somewhere in the 80s. The box is 22 1/2 inches long. The one on ebay are the junior wagons. But i could not find any that were this size. Mr. Chapman could you post pictures of yours. If anyone knows the value of this wagon, i would appreciate your knowledge. Thanks

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by dusty taylor View Post
                    The man that owned it, he had got it from a studebaker parts dealer somewhere in the 80s. The box is 22 1/2 inches long. The one on ebay are the junior wagons. But i could not find any that were this size. Mr. Chapman could you post pictures of yours. If anyone knows the value of this wagon, i would appreciate your knowledge. Thanks
                    Dusty, I don't know how to post pictures on the Forum so never have tried. I do have an iPad Mini which I could use for pictures and I could email such to someone who knows how to post. I'd also love to know the value as well.

Stu Chapman

Comment

You are correct in that the total length includes the hitch.

I do believe you mean Pole, as that's what the long steering rod that comes out of the hounds of the undercarriage is called. The crossbar and short rods on it are called an evener and single (or swingle) trees.

Nice model.
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Stu: I don't recall the eBay start price on the wagon. And, I would hesitate to value the 22-1/2" model without seeing it in person. I would speculate that several different individuals probably produced hand made toy wagons (as opposed to the JR wagons) and their value is whatever someone is willing to pay. I have two slightly smaller versions, nicely done, that I paid between $50 and $75 for each. Knowing that the number of people collecting Studebaker toys/models is dwindling, you may be hard pressed to find someone willing to pay a 'going price' for a toy wagon, much less a real Studebaker car/truck toy/model. stupak

Comment

Working...
                        X