PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Avanti 4dr proto

John8E40
07-12-2014, 10:49 PM
I was at Avanti Motors Corp in the Mid 80s and was able to get upstairs and see and take pictures of the original Studebaker Avanti 4dr. When Avanti left South Bend does any body know what happened to that one of a kind proto? It was different than the Avanti Corp 4dr that came out years later. I haven't seen my pictures in years or I would post them. I do remember to get the pictures I was using my SLR @1/15sec in the very poorly lighted room it was in. If any one knows what happened to it I would love to know where it went. The man from Avanti who took me up there said it was to be a 1967 model not a maybe but a real model to buy. It was not clay it was fiberglass with no drive train yet.

8E45E
07-12-2014, 10:57 PM
This one in post #4? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?29934-Anyone-ever-see-this-Avanti&highlight=coil+sprung

It is in the SNM now.

Craig

studegary
07-13-2014, 07:06 PM
This was a Studebaker prototype with Avanti themed styling. It was not an "Avanti 4dr proto".

raprice
07-15-2014, 01:27 PM
I seem to remember a 4 door Avanti body in the Stude Nat'l Museum a couple of years ago. Probably not the one you're speaking about.
Rog

studegary
07-15-2014, 01:34 PM
I seem to remember a 4 door Avanti body in the Stude Nat'l Museum a couple of years ago. Probably not the one you're speaking about.
Rog

It probably was. Many refer to it as an Avanti since it has similar styling to an Avanti.

EDIT: The design study that I am referring to here, and at other points in this thread, is a two door style on one side (one door) and a four door style on the other side (two doors). This was commonly done in the industry.

larkregal62
07-15-2014, 02:39 PM
There is an extensive write up on the keystone website by Don Jones. Both Don and Keystone region were instrumental in having the "METAL" bodied prototypes secured by the Museum. There were also several others including SI envolved. The following link is to that article http://www.sdckeystoneregion.com/member_don_jones3.html Hope this adds insight. Don't forget to click the view images at the top of the article for extensive pictures. Gordon

8E45E
07-15-2014, 05:25 PM
It probably was. Many refer to it as an Avanti since it has similar styling to an Avanti.

EDIT: The design study that I am referring to here, and at other points in this thread, is a two door style on one side (one door) and a four door style on the other side (two doors). This was commonly done in the industry.

There are three such Avanti-inspired vehicles in the museum (2-1/2, actually, as the one is missing its chassis.) The two, which represent either a 4 door or a 2 door version, depending on which side one is viewing it at are steel, and were built in France by Pichon-Parat.

The one which I referenced to in my link in Post #2 was built in-house in the Engineering Building with the all-coil-spring chassis under it which disappeared after the 1963 shutdown. It was still "in progress" in December, 1963 and remained uncompleted, including the cutting out of three of the four doors which it would have had. (The outlines are there, but only the driver's door opened & closed).

Craig