Thoughts On Judging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts On Judging

I think we all agree judging is very subjective. Some here have expressed distain for the entire process and others just can't get enough of the process. Here's just some thoughts of a member who has been judged but judges not!

I always wanted my 61 Hawk in Turning Wheels at a National Meet since I was a kid. I've owned this beast since around 1979. My car was a daily driver to the point the seats were falling through the floors. As life went by the Hawk and I both grew old together. In 2003 I began a modified restoration to get it back to a driver. That turned into a full blown restoration, but with the idea that I would still chip it up and drive the crap out of it. That has been the case. I loved being judged and picked apart. I thought the fact the judges hit me for improperly stowed jack handle was kind of funny because they completely missed my trunk lettering is a disaster. I say all this in good humor. We all belong to the club, we all love the brand and no one wants to be a judge...but we all respect those who do VOLUNTEER to judge. The fact that I could take my car, which at one point was trash, to a National Meet and have it's photo shown at the banquet was something I can check off the "bucket list".

Right you are, Jim. You can get a first place at one meet, second at another and third, or even also-ran, at another with the very same car; all depending on a judge's whim and/or experience. It can be gratifying or educating to know how your vehicle is scored; still, much more fun to be driving it!
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The first time we took 'Stella', our '47 M5, to the La Palma meet in Anaheim Ca, was a very enlightning experience.
      We entered her under the stock pickup class, not knowing that it was a 400 point deduction, by 2 points plus,
      for every violation.
      The judges encouraged us with questions and advice to what was wrong with the truck, as to the correctness of certain issues.
      I learned a lot of valuable info on how they judge their classes, and how to prep 'Stella for future shows.
      .....The bottom line is, show your Studebaker for the enjoyment of the spectators and entrants, their comments go far beyond any trophy given...........

Comment

As someone who has judged and been judged on virtually every level of judging available I have a couple of comments regarding the process. During the nearly forty years of owning, restoring and showing cars I have been gratified to have been a participant on, arguably, the most important stage available to car a owner. Although I am not without a ego judging doesn't have the thrill that it once had. With nothing more to prove I often enjoy just standing back and just watching the response that my car gets without saying anything. I fully appreciate the importance of judging as a part of the car hobby and why some people keep coming back for more.

A couple of comments regarding the judging process that I will let the folks on the Forum decide whether they are helpful. First the process should not be adversarial confrontational. I think that it is important to look at judging as a team effort between the judges and the owner with the goal discovery by the owner of what he needs to do to make his car better. I personally think that an owner should be able to judge his own car as well as any concourse judge can. I think that it is a mistake for a car owner to present his car for judging hoping that a judging team will be able to give him all the answers to making his car perfect. No judging team can possibly know everything there is to know about every car or model, and expecting them know everything is just foolish. It simply not fair to the judges and the owner will seldom be satisfied with results. An owner can only expect a judging team to be able to judge on a car's condition with authenticity being part of the team effort where the owner is as important as the judging team. I have never been part of a judging team that has been unwilling to defer to a well prepared owner when a question of originality or authenticity comes up. A good judging team should always ask if they have a question and really pay attention to the answer the owner gives. Frankly, judging is often a dirty, hot and thankless job that few really want to do. Those people who do the dirty work deserve all the respect and thanks that we can give. Far too many owners seem to be unwilling to be forthcoming with either. I think that any time that an owner has a car judged several times he should be obligated to volunteer to be a judge himself. Not only would it help to share some of the dirty work it would help give the car owner some perspective on some of what a judge goes through while being educational to boot.-Bill

Comment

Judging is fine for those that can afford it. I have never been in a position to play, but I enjoy looking at other people's efforts. I have driven a Studebaker to a number of International meets and parked outside the judging area and still enjoyed the trip. I do think that having a place for display only is a good idea so others can see the cars and trucks that may be a different model than those being judged.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I enjoy looking at all Studes that show up at meets, no matter how they got there. I appreciate the time, money and dedication it takes to produce a show car, but also appreciate the display vehicles. Closest to my heart are the honest to goodness drivers, which are often found in the parking lot, parked alongside regular, modern vehicles. I will walk a far piece to look at those Studes in the parking lot, but feel there should be a special place for them with other Studes. Maybe a class called, "Honest-To-Goodness Drivers".

As for judging, I judge my own before pulling out of the driveway, and they always get 400 points (but I may be biased)

Comment

There is an option to enter your car as display only and have it on the show field the day of the show. I have done this at all 3 international meets I have attended, the card you put in the window identifying the car is(I believe) a different color and it also says display. I also do this if I "show" my car at an AACA or other club meet. I enjoy showing my cars, but I don't have anything judged. The car is the trophy.

Todd

Comment

I have grown up with my parents cars, and now mine always being judged. If anything you can get a good checklist of what needs to be done, should you choose to do it. I entered my truck for Judging at the 2010 meet in Glendale. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would win anything. Heck I only had the truck for a matter of months and only cleaned it. The point is from there I had a list of things that I could or could not address to bring the truck along. It does seem in this day and age that if you have your car judged at a national that you will get a trophy. I have been working judging since I was a kid and it is a long process. While a judge may find issues with your car it is nothing personal and merely one persons opinion of condition. Authenticity is an entirly different story. My only concern with the current judging is when you have multiple, not 2 but 8, best of division trophies per class. This I think will be addressed with the new Judges Certification. But when it comes down to it, either Judged or Displayed get the cars out to the shows. Our new Cheif Judge but it very simply, we are a drivers club and no matter what the engine or condition drive those old Studebakers.

Comment

I personally don't like judging at all. However, our chapter, each year, when we have our Studebaker Reunion and Orphan Car Show, all the judging is via "peoples' choice". The cars are broken down into their respective classes and the people vote on their favorites. It's not too serious.
                  Rog
                  '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                  Smithtown,NY
                  Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Alaipairod summed up my career. I've been judged by judges and lawyers. One judge called me "brilliant" while another one ordered me to shoot myself (he didn't say "forthwith"). The only comments that count for me, come from clients...and those make it all worthwhile.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I don't usually enter my car for judging when I take it to shows or cruise-ins. But I get plenty of judging from the general public every time I drive it. And the response is always big smiles, thumbs up and "great car". That's good enough for me.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                      X