Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for pre-made '49 Champion convertible top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for pre-made '49 Champion convertible top?

I'm asking for my B-I-L....his local shop ordered one and it won't fit. He asked if I could ask around. He is in NW PA but anyplace would be fine.

The difference in length between a Champion and a Commander is all ahead of the windshield, correct?

Thanks.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Bill: I'd check with Hydro-E-Lectric.

I don't think they sell tops, but they would have to be an authority on those who do. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

ALL 47-52 Studebaker top mechanisms are the same, and the same canvas top will fit all of them. There is no difference in the top covering between Champions and Commanders.

Make sure you get a top WITHOUT the big flap for the rear window. ALL 47-51 Studebakers had the metal and glass rear window set into the top. You can see a picture in your owner's manual or the shop manual.

The big vinyl rear window did not appear until 1952.

NONE of the 47-51 Studebakers had the rear window mounted into a zippered flap where the big vinyl window would go.

Lots of people restore their cars that way, with the big canvas flap, but it is not correct.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks, Bob and Roy, for the info!
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist