Champ Truck Info Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ Truck Info Help Needed

A Good Friend and Son of a former Stude. Dealer just completed a 20 + year resto-mod of his 64 Champ P/U. AWESOME Job, I will try to get pics later. He asked me for any info written on the Champ line. I got him the monograph from the museum. Can someone with a Turning Wheels index tell me what issue covers the Champs? Also several years back there was an interview with Otis Romine where he discussed the purchase of the Dodge bed from Chrysler. Anyone know that issue? As you guessed, he is getting the "that bed is not the right bed" flak from the know it all's at car shows.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Jim , the issue he needs is Feb. 1987 ....everything you need to know about Champs and their production.
    Its the one with the red Champ in water on the front cover.
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
      Jim , the issue he needs is Feb. 1987 ....everything you need to know about Champs and their production.
      Its the one with the red Champ in water on the front cover.
      Thanks Bob, I know I pulled that issue out of the collection to save when I bought my Champ, but can't lay my hands on it right now. Anyone have a spare copy they wish to sell?
      It was great to see you in Dover, your 66 was looking good too!
      Jim

Comment

Jim
        I'll check through my stash as I already have a copy of that issue in my Dad's '64 T-Cab for the same reason! As for the SNM's monograph I too bought one at Dover but was disappointed of the pages that were repeated as well as options/accessories listed but NO PRICES on many of them. You would think an email to Richard Quinn would remedy this.
        Rob in PA.

Comment

I think the Dealer or Inside Facts books had pictures of the wide bed, I will look when I get a chance
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks Rob and Milt. Rob, PM sent.
            Jim

Comment

Still looking for the info on the Otis Romine interview T.W. issue
              JS

Comment

The truck on that cover was and probably still owned by a Ned Stephenson. At that time he lived in North Alabama. I was doing a body off on a 64 Champ then and my 2 kids, knowing how attached I was to my Champ, Had Ned's truck photo airbrushed on a T shirt for me and I've never worn it. I know this is under the catagory of "useless and idle information", but had the urge to share. I too have that issue stuck back somewhere, but can't find it. At one time it was under the T shirt.
                Kim

Comment

I just looked at my copies & am missing January through April myself!
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Jim

Factory production of the "Spaceside" body started on 01/23/1961. My 61 T-Cab was the 10th one off of the line. I know I have the TW issue you are looking for I just need to go through the boxes and find it.

The corporation paid approximately 150K for the stamping equipment and moved it from Detroit before the beginning of 1961.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

I think the neatest part of that story is that Studebaker supplied DODGE with the Styleside Beds for replacements under the agreement.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                        Jim

Factory production of the "Spaceside" body started on 01/23/1961. My 61 T-Cab was the 10th one off of the line. I know I have the TW issue you are looking for I just need to go through the boxes and find it.

The corporation paid approximately 150K for the stamping equipment and moved it from Detroit before the beginning of 1961.
                        Thanks Don,
                        I had that info stored in my cerebral hard drive, but it crashed. I found my Feb. '87 TW issue, still looking to get a copy for Henry though. I also located the June 2010 TW which contains the "Conversations With Otis" interview where he talks about the bed deal with Chrysler for 198K. You sure would never see a deal like that happen today among the Big Three!
                        As a side note, I met, and chatted with Otis at the 30th Anniv. Avanti Meet in SB 1993. Interesting character, AND he has Lancaster County roots! His Mother is from the Sensenich Propeller Family. RIP Otis.
                        Jim

Comment

Jim

Always great to gather more facts from those who know. Never met Otis but I bet he was a great person to talk too. The "Spaceside" Bodied trucks are great conversation pieces.

Was in a "classic storgae facility in Lynchbutg today that is privately owned and the first thing I saw was a Studebaker Junior Wagon and not a reproduction either. Then I go in the back and there is a 35 President Roadster totaly restores, alonf with a 39 Coupe Express and a 40 President 2 Dr Sedan with every option. Just about had to clean my pants out. Unfortunately owner would not let pictures be taken. There were many other vehicles here to include an 07 Packard Rdstr with picnic basket on back, a Dusenburg Rdts, a Ford Model T Popcorn Truck and much more. To say the least it was a great morning.
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                          X