PDA

View Full Version : Marshal Package cars for the Fire Dept

nwi-region-rat
07-10-2014, 01:02 AM
I was wondering....I have seen a few brochures for the marshal cars, showing as to be expected police cars. For a while now, the fire service tags on the PD orders for cars and SUVs and just orders them in traditional reds or white. Occasionally in other high impact colors. When I started in the fire service, my dept had a few station wagons and a suburban, they were all civilian cars that were red, the suburban was white. It wasn't till a lot later did we go the police package vehicle route. Did Studebaker tailor a package for the fire dept? or were they just Marshals in Red? I know of one city that bought used cars for the FD and had the in house guys paint the car red. Where I'm going with this, is I have a ton of old FD stuff from long scrapped vehicles. Maybe I should just look for a sedan, paint it red and outfit it like they did in the old days....no special police stuff, just the lights and siren, and some gold leaf for good measure. A tribute car if you will....thoughts? FD photos?

Studebaker Wheel
07-10-2014, 01:54 AM
Not only did Studebaker offer a special model for fire chiefs they even had a name for it and promoted it accordingly. It was called the Studebaker "Fire Chief" and it was on the 120" Big Six model EP chassis. The body was called a Duplex Roadster. It was finished in Vermillion Red. Shown here in a 1926 photo is South Bend fire chief Sibrel and his chauffeur. Good luck in finding one of these.

57pack
07-10-2014, 05:53 AM
South Bend Fire Dept. had Studebaker fire dept equiped Larks.
Maybe Mr. Quinn has a photo or two of these?

rockinhawk
07-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Not a Marshall,but we dressed this Daytona up to look like a Fire Chiefs car Back in the day. My wife, son and I were part of the County VFD. A local car club put on a benefit car show for us,so we did our part.

I don't know why this came out so small. I'm still learning about pictures.36174

1962larksedan
07-10-2014, 08:04 PM
I was wondering....I have seen a few brochures for the marshal cars, showing as to be expected police cars. For a while now, the fire service tags on the PD orders for cars and SUVs and just orders them in traditional reds or white. Occasionally in other high impact colors. When I started in the fire service, my dept had a few station wagons and a suburban, they were all civilian cars that were red, the suburban was white. It wasn't till a lot later did we go the police package vehicle route. Did Studebaker tailor a package for the fire dept? or were they just Marshals in Red? I know of one city that bought used cars for the FD and had the in house guys paint the car red. Where I'm going with this, is I have a ton of old FD stuff from long scrapped vehicles. Maybe I should just look for a sedan, paint it red and outfit it like they did in the old days....no special police stuff, just the lights and siren, and some gold leaf for good measure. A tribute car if you will....thoughts? FD photos?

That old emergency equipment has a def following with the people who build tribute (or restore genuine police/fire package) public safety vehicles from ca. 1990 on down............especially the 'Mayberry' era. :)

Studebaker Wheel
07-11-2014, 12:38 PM
South Bend Fire Dept. had Studebaker fire dept equiped Larks.
Maybe Mr. Quinn has a photo or two of these?

I had posted this a few years back on this forum.

57pack
07-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Thank you Mr.Quinn! That's the photo I remember.
Showed the photo to our Fire Dept, was well received. In fact they pressured me to convert my Wagonaire to a fire dept vehicle!:ohmy:

nwi-region-rat
07-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks, love the 26, sharp....and the lark variants look like a cheap and easy theme car....I have a real Brand D Police car and a Retired Harley Police bike.....As much as I would love a fire truck, it won't fit in my garage....so a chief car would be nice....OR a lottery win...that would be really nice...lol