Coupe Express spare and fender question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe Express spare and fender question

I hope that Deepnhock, Mr. Quinn, or someone else will have an answer for this, but why is the spare so "up in the air" on the 38 and 39 CE's and tucked down so neat on the 37's ? Also, will a passenger car fender with no spare well fit on any of the 3 years ? Seems like the spare in or under the bed would be so much cleaner looking, although the 37 looks fine as is..... Just wondering, thanks, John
    Attached Files

Basically, the three years are all different.
    The cab roof was raised in '38 and the nose shortened a bit, so in essence the cab was moved forward on the chassis to allow the longer p/u box.
    There is not a lot of room to stuff the large diameter wheel/tire far down into the fender.
    Couple that with the fact that the door has to open all the way, and it gets close to the back of the tire.
    So... Stude made the tire go 'up' and 'back' a bit.
    And, yes, a non-spare fender will fit on there.
    There is not much room under the back for anything, let alone a spare.
    Too bad they hadn't invented the space saver tire...yet.
    Richard will have better info, so I will defer to him.
    Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 07-09-2014, 06:46 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

First of all the 1938 and '39 were on different chassis than the '37. In fact almost nothing interchanges for '37 and '38 -'39. Below a page from Collectible Automobile magazine for June 2003. The article (which I authored) is 14 pages long and contains over 30 photos. The page I have included explains the reason for the side mount position. By the way not all had the side mount. Second photo is my '38.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cpe exp article ca copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1691255Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0975 copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1691257
      Attached Files
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks guys ! I clicked on Deepnhocks other post about the one on ebay a few minutes ago, and it is STILL loading ! I looked that truck over carefully at the L.A. Roadster show, and it is just too far gone for my capabilities. Almost every lip, seam, edge, ridge, corner, and most flat places had rust, but it is, as Deepnhock says, very complete. The owner was asking $32,500.00 at the meet, and I never could locate him there. One of those "what if's", I guess.

Mr. Quinn, I'll dig out my Collectible Automobile books to see if I still have that issue too ! Thanks again guys ! jb

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (1).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1691271Interesting questions which I went through with my 39 CE. At first I loved the look of the spare in the fender, then I got to looking at visibility from the drivers seat with it up in the air like that. Then I looked at the spare from the front of the truck and decided it probably would cost a couple mpg with the way it forms a v to catch the wind. I elected to put on a blank fender there. It will look very clean and I will carry my spare in the back in the bed. I think I will bolt it flat in the right rear of the bed for best weight distribution.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
          X