Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-brand engine with troll in it...

How strange can a engine behave???
    It's a 318 quad Mopar that sounds like a V6 but runs smoth...
    So a pal turned the jets on the carb & it ran better.
    Then I turned the distributor about 1.5 wire-hole & it ran REAL soft.
    Then I took it for a ride & as soon as I pressed it just a tiny bit it sounded worse than a Catepillar engine in a hard-working tugboat!
    So ofcourse I had to turn the distributor back & then it's sounding bad again.
    So this night I started with puling the wires on driver side & #1 & #2 didn't make any difference if I had the lead on or not.
    But when I had the sparkplugs out they sparked fine!
    So the plugs & leads are alright & the timing-order is right & it alls feels good as long as the engine aint started...
    & YES I've turned the distributor back-&-forth but that's not tha thing that even a stroboscope light could cure.
    & it has timing-CHAIN - NOT a belt.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Compression check before you go any farther.

Comment

Its not unusual for a plug to spark when not under pressure but not to spark when in engin and under compression.Try moving that plug to a differant cylinder to see if your miss changes cylinders.

Comment

Alright, I'll try to move sparkplugs to other hole, never thought about that, thanx!
        I just got a feeling that there might be some dirt in the carb but couldn't see why it only would give problem to the first & last cylinder on one side.

Comment

Okidoki, now I've been "out & about" under the hood... no difference on plugs, tried swaping leads also but no difference.
          So I thouight I would try the mixing-screws on the carb & the driver-side one was quite a negative experiance: nothing happened no matter what I did, even removing it totally!
          So it seems that the different sides in the carb gets devided in the manoifold so the rightside carb-barrels give to the left middle (#3 & #5) cylinders & now that the leftside jet/jets are cluged up the front & rear (#1 & #7) cylinders don't get any fuel at all.
          So here I fo, carb is out & I'm at it...
          (& everybody who knows anything & been listening to it said it seemed to be ignition.)

Comment

Compression test, for one. Also try a vacuum gauge. This is the reason that tuneup shops had scopes in them. With a scope, and an operator who could read the manual, one can test for a host of problems all at once.

And timing chains can jump a tooth or two, and the engine may still run, but badly. Then it will jump again, and the engine will not run at all.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The strange thing was that it ran good!
              Smooth but weak, not much power.
              After stripping & blowing the carb it was like new thou, took her out for a nice spin... NICE one...

Comment

Working...
              X