No announcement yet.

What is the rarest postwar Studebaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the rarest postwar Studebaker?

My first thought would be the 1955 Speedsters since they came out in only one year. Are there others? Please include anything including trucks.

I believe only 869 Packard Clipper Country Sedans (Wagons) were made.

Comment

51 Commander business coupe,one made.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

1964 Commander 2 Door Sedan with R3 Power, ONE factory built.

1956 Golden Hawk with LEATHER Interior, ONE built.

Maybe we have to "Define" Rarest a bit more!
        ONE is not a very big group of representative Cars.

1957 Parkview (Commander V8 259) 2 Door Station Wagon 738 total produced.

Speaking of One year only models, '56 Flight Hawk, Power Hawk and Sky Hawk were in that group, and the Sky Hawk is the rarest of those, VERY Rare today.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 07-03-2014, 11:07 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

1958 Packard wagons, only 159. But of course that is not a Studebaker as the question stated!

Chris.

Comment

More here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...BROADMOOR+1958

and here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...BROADMOOR+1958

Craig

Comment

809 '64 Avanti's would be in the discussion.
              Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
              jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

There were only 704 or 705 1964 convertibles built.

Comment

If one considers the dozens of possible option combinations, then there are probably hundreds of "one-of-one" Studebakers built. Having a model/engine/transmission with a tissue dispenser on the production order is not especially interesting to some of us. Let the Corvette owners brag about having the only '64 Marina blue convertible delivered without the hardtop or softtop and with the optional headrests and the teak steering wheel (or whatever).

The 588 Packard Hawks rank high among my favorites. However, it's well to remember rarity = unpopularity. Fact is, few-to-none of the car buyers of that day saw sufficient value to spend for it. That's why so few were produced and sold.
                  PackardV8

Comment

If you are taking about production figures, then the other guys have given you a clue. BUT, if you are talking about survivors I challenge anyone to find more 1947 Commander 2 door sedans (not Starlights) than 1964 convertibles, 64 Avantis, or even 1958 Packard wagons. I had a 47 Commander 2 door sedan and have only seen references to maybe 2 or 3 other survivors. I bet there are not more than 8. If you think I'm wrong I'd like to know. Good luck!
                    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      If you are taking about production figures, then the other guys have given you a clue. BUT, if you are talking about survivors I challenge anyone to find more 1947 Commander 2 door sedans (not Starlights) than 1964 convertibles, 64 Avantis, or even 1958 Packard wagons. I had a 47 Commander 2 door sedan and have only seen references to maybe 2 or 3 other survivors. I bet there are not more than 8. If you think I'm wrong I'd like to know. Good luck!
                      Doesn't matter if the discussion is about production or survivors, the same logic applies. If only single digits have survived, it's because few, even among CASOs, saw enough value there to spend the money to preserve or restore.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

How about the 1957 Golden Hawk "400", thought to be only 51 produced.

Mark

Comment

Rarest postwar Studebaker?

One that doesn't leak?
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            Doesn't matter if the discussion is about production or survivors, the same logic applies. If only single digits have survived, it's because few, even among CASOs, saw enough value there to spend the money to preserve or restore.

jack vines

Well, that's odd. It's not hard to find 1947 Champion 2 door sedans. You'd think the more powerful Commander would be more desirable. It's like saying that a 55 Chevy 150 with a 6 cylinder is more attractive to collectors and restorers than a Belair with a V8.
                            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

The '57 President 2dr of mine. I've seen maybe 4 others - actually, only ONE have I seen in person - the rosemist and white one that lives in the midwest.. Last time I checked the roster I came up with about 15 (or so - it's been a long time since I checked) There were only 836 of them built, but like the mentioned '47 Comm 2-drs - who knows how many are left? I know there's some accepted formula for calculating the survival rate of various vehicles, but some seem to defy those calculations to extremes. With 159 '58 Packard wagons made, there's an unbelievable number that are still around to this day - Packard Hawks too - and I'd be willing to bet there's a few yet to come out of barns and other forms of storage.
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X