vintage air in a c, k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage air in a c, k

Anyone running a Vintage air evaporator,htr,defroster in a ck with a GT dash. Its their Gen II compact. I'm wondering if you eleminated the glove box in order to clear the evaporator unit? How far from the passenger side A pillar did you mount it.
    Thanks
    Russ

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
    53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
    57 SH (project)

The po installed a Vintage Air unit in my '62 GT. He eliminated the glove box and radio to do it but I didn't like that idea. I bought another dash and cut a couple inches off the left side of the glove box and fiberglassed a piece in place to still allow at least partial use of the box. The radio, I didn't care about, as I am mounting a Secret Audio radio and 10 disc cd changer in the trunk, controlled by a wireless remote.
    I don't know if this Vintage Air is the same model as yours. It is heat, air, and defrost. He butchered up the original dash to mount the controls. I'm moving them to just below the dash without chopping big ugly holes in the dash.
    parky

62 GT Hawk

Comment

I still have the dash out of the car. I can send pics of the unit and the glovebox modification if you want.
      parky

62 GT Hawk

Comment

I'd love to see any pics and info you have on this subject as I'm planning a GT with aftermarket A/C in the future.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bams50,
          give me an email address and I'll send some pictures your way.
          I haven't had a lot of success posting pictures on this board.
          parky

62 GT Hawk

Comment

May I also give you an email address so I can get some of your dash/glovebox photos? This is my next step on our '63 GT. I put the vintage air sample unit under the dash and there is about a half inch above the unit outlets to the bottom of the radio. Removing part of the glovebox may be the answer. I do want to leave the radio if possible. Or I'd be open to the suggestion of another Vintage unit to use.

Perry
            '23 Special Six,
            '50 Business Champ,
            '50 Starlight Champ,
            '60 Lark droptop,
            '63 GT R1
            Perry
            \'50 Business Champion
            \'50 Starlight Champion
            \'60 Lark Convertible,
            \'63 GT R1,
            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

What model vintage unit are you planning on installing?

quote:Originally posted by fpstude

May I also give you an email address so I can get some of your dash/glovebox photos? This is my next step on our '63 GT. I put the vintage air sample unit under the dash and there is about a half inch above the unit outlets to the bottom of the radio. Removing part of the glovebox may be the answer. I do want to leave the radio if possible. Or I'd be open to the suggestion of another Vintage unit to use.

Perry
              '23 Special Six,
              '50 Business Champ,
              '50 Starlight Champ,
              '60 Lark droptop,
              '63 GT R1
              Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
              57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)

Comment

I am planning to install an AC unit in my 59 silver hawk. I am just in the planning stage. I was hoping to use my 62 GT hawk as a model as it has factory studebaker AC.
                I am not familar with "vintage unit". How hard is it to find an under dash mouting unit?

Dell
                59 Silver Hawk
                62 GT Hawk
                Dell
                59 Silver Hawk
                62 GT Hawk

Comment

The term 'Vintage Air' refers to a modern day company at Vintageair.com that specializes in making retrofit units for street rods and other hot rods. They have a variety of sizes and models. It is good stuff. I had one of their units on my '31 Ford street rod years ago. You can spend as much money as you want on this stuff.

parky

62 GT Hawk

Comment

The PO of my '53 installed a Vintage air unit - as mentioned, no radio or glove box. Used the speaker grille opening to mount the A/C controls...it's OK, but w/o cutting vents into the dash so you get cold air blowing in your face, it doesn't feel like it cools as effectively as it should.

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
                    -------------------
                    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Working...
                    X