1956 Power Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Power Hawk

Any body recognize this car? The late owner was a member of the SDC. I am considering a bid but CA is so far away from me here in Ontario and I don't have time to go and see it before the bidding is over.

It belonged to Charley Winters, The first time I saw it was in 1979-1980 in Des Moines Wa. I lost contact with Charley in the early eighties. I looked at the car this may when his son brought it to a local swap meet in Monroe Wa, Although I would not call it a "show car", it is very nice.
    Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by MChance View Post
      It belonged to Charley Winters, The first time I saw it was in 1979-1980 in Des Moines Wa. I lost contact with Charley in the early eighties. I looked at the car this may when his son brought it to a local swap meet in Monroe Wa, Although I would not call it a "show car", it is very nice.
      Thanks very much for the information. So this car spent most of it's life in WA? Would you say it was in good #3 condition then, a nice driver or maybe even close to a #2?

Any advice out there on what a 56 Power Hawk in this condition is worth?

Comment

Looks good. Like the fender skirts.

Comment

I never like the skirts on C-K cars, it doesn't fit in. I do like them on other Studes though, it depends on the body style.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            I never like the skirts on C-K cars, it doesn't fit in. I do like them on other Studes though, it depends on the body style.
            I agree! I do not like any skirts on C/K models and these are particularly bad. They look similar, but not quite the same, as skirts for a 1951 Mercury.
            I do like the Hawk and it would be easy to remove the skirts.
            I like that the auction is No Reserve.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just received the July TW (and it's only July 3!). There's a sweet 61 Hawk in the classifieds, Kato. Couldn't build it for that money. It belongs to an Ontario Chapter member, area code 613, same colours as my 55, wide whites, 289, auto, PS, PB... let's go look at it?
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

That Power Hawk is in fantastic condition, the Interior is especially nice, way better than Original, with good colors.

My opinion is that
                Black just does not do it on C & K Models though, they are way better with a little COLOR and Med or Light Two ones and with White.

And of course I to, would ditch those ugly fender skirts in a heartbeat!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  That Power Hawk is in fantastic condition, the Interior is especially nice, way better than Original, with good colors.

My opinion is that
                  Black just does not do it on C & K Models though, they are way better with a little COLOR[COLOR=#0000FF][B] and Med or Light Two ones and with White.
                  Bob Bourke would disagree with you. Even his own 1954 Starliner, that he kept "forever" was/is black. Bob and I felt that the bodies look better in a dark color, including/especially black.
                  To each his own. Every time I buy a new black car, I say "never again".
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, I promised the Elvis impersonator that sold me my car that I would keep it black. No regrets and I'm sure Elvis would approve.
                    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Bob Bourke would disagree with you. Even his own 1954 Starliner, that he kept "forever" was/is black. Bob and I felt that the bodies look better in a dark color, including/especially black.
                      To each his own. Every time I buy a new black car, I say "never again".
                      On a '53 or '54 Starliner I would probably have to agree Gary, they do look good as Dick Steinkamp's Car did, even though I would not want a Black Car, but not on Hawks, that have more Trim.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I note it says "factory skirts", did the factory offer Hawk skirts in ,56?
                        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                        50 Champion 2 door*
                        53 Commander K Auto*
                        53 Commander K overdrive*
                        55 President Speedster
                        62 GT 4Speed*
                        63 Avanti R1*
                        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Don't have my issue yet. I'll have a look at the ad. Could always go have a look, doesn't cost anything! I'll let you know, thanks Dave!

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                          Just received the July TW (and it's only July 3!). There's a sweet 61 Hawk in the classifieds, Kato. Couldn't build it for that money. It belongs to an Ontario Chapter member, area code 613, same colours as my 55, wide whites, 289, auto, PS, PB... let's go look at it?

Comment

Well, I got some good insight into this Hawk and I think by the time I pay the exchange (From Northern Peso) import costs and especially the shipping, I'd have too much into this car. Still think it's a great looking car, maybe not the skirts, and personally I think any car looks good in black. Keeping them clean, that's another issue! Thanks for all of your input. The search continues!

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                              I note it says "factory skirts", did the factory offer Hawk skirts in ,56?
                              I don't think so, but man if they did, they'd have to be some pretty sick Puppies!
                              Those things do not even FIT!

I have NEVER seen a eBay Ad with a tiny little catch like this:

"Vehicles 30-40 years of age or older can be temperamental and we cannot guarantee that every electrical component (radio, heater, wipers, lighting etc) will function or operate on all vehicles
                              Vehicles will not be sold to California residents"

I can't get all of the text or Pics to appear at the same time no matter how large or small I make it, or use the Left/Right toolbar at the bottom to center it, their format is a poor fit to the eBay one.

Is that a bit discriminatory or what? It's
                              IN Calif. !!!
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 07-03-2014, 10:28 PM.
                              StudeRich
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X