Help - generator needed - stuck in Ludlow, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - generator needed - stuck in Ludlow, CA

What was supposed to be a relatively smooth, quick trip from Anaheim, CA to Colorado just turned south. We picked up Maureen (and Gordon) Bricken's 1958 President planning to drive through the desert in the evening, and we got as far as Ludlow (halfway between Barstow and Needles) when we started hearing grinding and squealing. Will lubed and greased the noisy generator, but sparks flew and he says the generator will need to be replaced or rebuilt.

Does anyone on the forum know of any Studebaker folks in the area? Worst case scenario... We'll have to have someone from home FedEx a generator and wait it out for a day or two. :-/

Thanks for any leads!

~Lori
    "The Common Sense Car"

http://www.starlightstudebaker.com

'61 Lark "Isabella"
    '63 Lark "Lucy"
    '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
    A bunch of other Larks
    '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

Studebaker Parts and Service Long Beach (Bill Oliver) 562 435 3782 and Studebakers West, Redwood City (Carl) 650 366 8787 would probably have the Generator and be the closest, but are not next door either.

I have known Maureen Bricken and (Gordon RIP) for a very long time, good people.

Good luck finding help and with the rest of your trip, sorry to hear you had a problem, I know right where Ludlow is, in the middle of nowhere.
    Sorry I am not closer.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So sorry to hear of your situation. I wish I could help. All out of generators over here.
      sals54

Comment

I can check in the morning. More than likely we have one. Just don't know how we could get it to you. I'm in Fresno. 559-486-2715
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

I would even go as far as to check out a local auto parts store in Ludlow which may be within walking distance from your hotel. If the auto parts store has been around for years, they just might have one in the back of the store collecting dust. I presume it is a Delco 12V generator common to a few different makes of cars from that time, and not too difficult to find.

Comment

I have a delco from a 59 Lark 170 if that will work? I'm In Glendora 91740 at the intersection of the 57 and the 210, if that's any help.

(626) 833-4961 Len.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Studebaker Parts and Service Long Beach (Bill Oliver) 562 435 3782 and Studebakers West, Redwood City (Carl) 650 366 8787 would probably have the Generator and be the closest, but are not next door either.

I have known Maureen Bricken and (Gordon RIP) for a very long time, good people.

Good luck finding help and with the rest of your trip, sorry to hear you had a problem, I know right where Ludlow is, in the middle of nowhere.
              Sorry I am not closer.

I wouldn't say Ludlow is in the middle of nowhere. It's just off the middle of nowhere. Now Amboy, that's in the middle of nowhere, but they have pretty good cold lemon aid Amboy cafe, if it's still there.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                I would even go as far as to check out a local auto parts store in Ludlow which may be within walking distance from your hotel. If the auto parts store has been around for years, they just might have one in the back of the store collecting dust. I presume it is a Delco 12V generator common to a few different makes of cars from that time, and not too difficult to find.
                Exactly, Not Studebaker specific at all!!! Almost ANY 12 volt generator will fit and work.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Any abandoned GM or Studebakers of near that vintage laying around?
                  sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                  Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                  "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I do have one off of a 63 lark just let me know
                    Mabel 1949 Champion
                    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                    Gus 1958 Transtar
                    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                    Fresno,Ca

Comment

Jim Swank is based in Bakersfield 661-835-9502
                      StudeRick & Johna
                      Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                      1957 Silver Hawk
                      1963 Avanti
                      1961 Lark Wagon
                      1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tips and leads. Don in Florida even gave us the phone number of his cousin in Barstow! It looks like one of the FLAPS in Barstow can get a generator that will work from Victorville this morning and possibly out here to Ludlow this afternoon. I'm crossing my fingers... And I'll keep your leads on hand just in case. :-)

~Lori
                        "The Common Sense Car"

http://www.starlightstudebaker.com

'61 Lark "Isabella"
                        '63 Lark "Lucy"
                        '63 Wagonaire "Carl"
                        A bunch of other Larks
                        '50 Starlight, '55 Speedster , '58 Packard Hardtop, '59 Pickup, '64 Avanti "Jerry"

Comment

Attaboy. If you can polarize that generator and make sure your voltage regulator is putting out, she should run a lot better (accessories, too).
                          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Fantastic News My son was figuring the mileage and just how many tanks of gas on his VStar Last night.
                            Mabel 1949 Champion
                            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                            Gus 1958 Transtar
                            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                            Fresno,Ca

Comment

It is a good thing Lori found one Anne, because a '63 Should have an Alternator not a Generator.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X