No announcement yet.

How hard to add power steering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: How hard to add power steering?

Hi, I'm looking at buying a 1960 Lark convertible for my wife, but will need to add power steering for her (bum shoulder). The Lark is a three speed overdrive with an Avanti 289 R1. Is adding power steering a relatively easy thing, for a good mechanic (not me)? Thanks.

Yes-if you've got the right parts. The car looks great. She'll really enjoy it! Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan. I found one or two parts guys on here that should have the right parts, so I think we are good to go. As a side note, it's nice to find a forum that is informative and relatively civil, if not just friendly.

Comment

A V-8 with an overdrive is the perfect travelling car. The floor shift should make it even more fun to drive. Congratulations on a great find.

The chassis parts manual (available from all major Studebaker vendors) will show you the power steering parts you need and from what cars you can get these parts.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-30-2014, 08:07 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

takes your choice: you'll probably spend the same money for a complete and installed Bendix PS set up as 4 new bias ply (narrow) tires. Those narrow tires will turn easily.......however, if your front end (like most Studes), is not up to snuff, those skinny tires will steer easy, but will wander all over the road......

Comment

I have the installation sheet from a power steering kit that Studebaker sold.
            I believe I still have all the parts of this kit but you need new hoses.I would not trust 50 year old ones.
            If you are interested I will find these. Not cheap but all new.
            Robert Kapteyn
            studebaker@mac.com

Comment

I have an 63 Avanti R1 that is desperately in need of a power steering upgrade. Do you still have the setup?

Comment

I added power steering to my '64 when I had the front clip off for painting; an easy install since all the parts came off a '64 parts car. I rebuilt all parts and installed new hoses too.....works great! (Don't forget the 2 belt pulley.)

Comment

If the OP is still looking for PS, I'd first try haggling with the car's seller. For the advertised price, maybe he could work with you a little; many Stude owners have parts stashes they've hoarded for years; the seller may have the PS on hand, but holding out. For the OP and/or ALABAMA41, if you can wait till early May, 2015, and go to the annual Stude swap meet in South Bend, those PS kits usually go for around $300, but would need refreshing before installation. (Likely, an NOS kit would also need freshening.)

Hardest part, if not a mechanic, may be finding someone competent to install it for you. For the OP, I see you are in Louisville. If in need of a mechanic, I may be able to put you in touch with someone.

Comment

I would get not only the power steering parts but replace the steering gearbox with one from a 61 or later at the same time. I have one from a 63 Cruiser coming here that I'm going to install in my 59 Lark wagon. The newer gearbox is reported by many here in the forum as being smoother & requiring less effort thus taking less strain on the power steering system. (at least that's how I'm looking at it)

I've seen that 60 convertible on You Tube. As a matter of fact I think it was just yesterday I watched it again recognizing those wheels & the lack of the regal grille shell. Looks like a real nice car !
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                    X