Real or repop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real or repop?

Pictures of the R3 air box if I can get them on here. Wouldn't know real or not real but one or more of you folks will, I'm sure.Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker and parts 001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1744216Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker and parts 002.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1744217Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker and parts 003.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1744218Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker and parts 004.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1744219Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker and parts 021.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1744215
    Stude Rookie

I hope some of the experts can tell. It looks different than the one I have. Mine has a hole in the passenger front of the bottom half I assume for the fuel line. Additionally, I have another hole in the passenger side where this is marked "A". My carb mounting pad is not rectangular. I always thought mine was a re-pop. I have another that was modified for twin blowers that has the same non-rectangular carb mounting pad. The twin blower one has an additional hole in the bottom and looks like it could take several different carbs. Both of them have the part number - 1558946 cast into the top cover and 1558945 cast into the bottom. Neither of these part numbers appear in my parts book. The bottom shell on ebay has holes and carb pad similar to both of mine.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

I might be mistaken, but don't the originals have a part number cast into the top somewhere?

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Here is a picture of my airbox that has not been modified for twin blowers. FYI, I took the liberty of asking the question of re-pop or not on the racing Studebakers forum. I posted your pictures there. Let me know if I violated any copyrights.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 64studeavanti; 06-28-2014, 10:51 AM.
        78 Avanti RQB 2792
        64 Avanti R1 R5408
        63 Avanti R1 R4551
        63 Avanti R1 R2281
        62 GT Hawk V15949
        56 GH 6032504
        56 GH 6032588
        55 Speedster 7160047
        55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Does it really matter? I think Henry's (64studeavanti) looks more authentic if anyone is looking inside of your Airbox.

Here you go, a totally Complete Setup that looks like it's been in a Bat Cave for 50 Years!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-A...1f66f6&vxp=mtr
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-28-2014, 11:19 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
            Here is a picture of my airbox that has not been modified for twin blowers. FYI, I took the liberty of asking the question of re-pop or not on the racing Studebakers forum. I posted your pictures there. Let me know if I violated any copyrights.
            This looks more like the real R3 boxes I have dealt with.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The top photos look like the one I have , unfortunately I'm not home to double check,. Mine is a Lionel Stone repop.

Comment

Repop

I agree with you guys in the know. It is a nice piece even if it is a repop. Doubt if many people pull the top off of R3s to check though. My curiosity is satisfied and if I decide to use it I'm sure it will work OK. If I don't use it the good folks on this forum will be the first to know.
                Stude Rookie

Comment

This one is a repo.The "R3" logo is screwed on on the original it was cast in.

Rkapteyn

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7323.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1691177No, the original R3 was also screwed on. It is a removable piece to get at the idle adjusting screws without having to remove the whole cover.
                    Last edited by bezhawk; 06-28-2014, 05:21 PM.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I thought the repops had the square carb base and the hole for the choke stove pipe wasn't drilled.
                      Jim
                      Often in error, never in doubt
                      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have one, purchased from John Erb back in 1997, that has the # 1558948 cast into the top. The lower half on the passenger side had a boss which had to be drilled fro the fuel line. The R3 plate screwed on..
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thats what is so nice about owning a Studebaker. Very few people that will look at your car inside or out have a clue what is original and what is not.

Comment

Looking at the thickness of the carb mounting pad, (plus two carb gaskets), I can see why the body of factory R3 Avantis needed to be lifted a bit!

Comment

Working...
                            X