Traffic conditions traveling to and from dover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic conditions traveling to and from dover

Guys, To the folks traveling from the midwest. Avoid at all costs using the Chesapeake Bay Bridge [rt 50/rt 301] on weekends. Crossing it may take hours as it is the primary route for Baltimore and Washington metro traffic headed to and from Ocean City MD, Bethany Beach DE, Rehoboth Beach DE, Lewes DE and Chincoteague, VA. Traffic delays can be monumental if you catch the holiday weekend traffic at the wrong time.

My advice is to stay on the PA turnpike and exit at Downingtown, PA and then work your way down thru Delaware to Dover. In normal traffic its about 23 minutes longer and you avoid the beach traffic. I suggest you use your GPS or Mapquest for the details.

I thought it important to those of you on or about to get on the road.

Ed Ellis
    Last edited by ed ellis; 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM.
    ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Thanks for the warning.

Comment

Thanks, I'll take note of that since I had planned to go by way of that bridge. Would this affect me coming in this Sunday PM and leaving AM Friday the 4th since I would be headed west on Friday?
      Last edited by 41 Frank; 06-25-2014, 12:44 PM.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Frank, its just best to avoid the bridge---- period. The juice just aint worth the squeezing. ed
        ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Travel to & from the Peninsula from ANY direction is going to be terrible. it's July 4th week / weekend, and the entire east coast is trying to get
          to the beaches. Leaving after the show on July 3rd will be particularly difficult.

Comment

Bob, Coming from Clarksburg WVA I don't think you have much of an option but to use the bridge. If you are crossing on a weekend its best to do it on off hours [9pm to 9am]. Ed
            ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

OK avoid the bridge, I got it. So after looking at the map you are advising we come in from the north. We will be on the Pennsy Turnpike anyway.
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

frank, Exactly!!!
                ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Thank You Ed, see you there?
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

Driving our 51 Commander from Indiana , thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                      Thanks, I'll take note of that since I had planned to go by way of that bridge. Would this affect me coming in this Sunday PM and leaving AM Friday the 4th since I would be headed west on Friday?
                      Frank

I have to somewhat disagree with my friend Ed Ellis on this. If you are coming in late on Sunday afternoon or evening, the vast majority of beachgoers will already be here. Remember you are traveling eastbound and beach rentals generally run Saturday to Saturday. Similarly, if you leave early on Friday, 7/4 (the earlier the better) beachgoers will be heading eastbound, not westbound, except for those who want to get home for the 4th. Don't know if you plan to take I-70 east from Breezewood, PA but this can get heavy especially around Frederick, MD.

Comment

I'm going from Frederick, MD to Dover so the Bay Bridge is the best option. I'm going on Tuesday so traffic shouldn't be too hateful...and returning on Saturday...against the main flow of traffic. I've no illusions about what I might run into, traffic-wise, but shouldn't be nearly as bad as later in the week heading eastbound.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

There's another thread going in the Meet Forum~

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Wilmington-DE

Is this a different traffic issue, or is that one more obstacle folks going get to deal with?

Either way- sounds like 'fun'.
                          I will not be attending Dover, but if you are- enjoy the show!!!
                          I'll be looking forward to the picture threads once things get rollin'...

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Frank, I will be selling a couple of my 53/54 coupes and a bunch of coupe sheet metal out in the car corral. Look for the black Ocean Petroleum car trailer . See ya soon. Ed
                            ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

From someone flying in to D.C. on Sunday morning and planning to drive to Dover late Sunday afternoon or early evening (June 29th), is this going to be a major issue for me?
                              Thanks for the warning and the advice.
                              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Working...
                              X