Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have some spare flocking lying around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have some spare flocking lying around?

Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Gee, Richard...you sure can push some memory buttons. Back when I was in college, I took a job as a second shift supervisor in a "Flocking" operation. It was one of the worst jobs of my life. The plant was not air-conditioned. On hot humid days, my legs would chaff raw between my thighs as I walked the plant trying to keep everything running. What was worse, if someone laid out of work, I was expected to run their work station, and still oversee the operation.

If I recall correctly, the flocking fibers were blown over an eight foot width of cloth just after it was coated with adhesive. The flocking fiber was dispensed through an electrostatic field so that it would orient and stand on end as it attached to the wet glued fabric. It was a pretty elaborate process back then and all sorts of things had to come together for it to work right. Unfortunately, we spent a lot of time tweaking the process.

Turned out that my wife was allergic to the flocking fibers. It was one time that her allergies worked to my advantage. It gave me a good incentive and excuse to move on to a better job and not have to put up with so much physical and mental stress.

The question I have...are you looking for loose flocking fibers? Or a certain size of flocked fabric?
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Sorry to bring back such traumatic memories! Yes, looking for the flock fibers. The stuff I had at one time actually came from Studebaker. I even had a can of the original flock coat (adhesive). I know the stuff is still out there just thought some one might have some unused stuff that they were going to discard.
      Richard Quinn

Comment

Richard. Is this what you're looking for .

Hope this helps Patrick.

Comment

Yes, the fiber (correct color form not on that list). I am aware it is available commercially. I had already Googled it. Just hoped that someone had some left over.
          Richard Quinn

Comment

The last time I needed some I got it from Tom Shrock.

Comment

Dick, I think I have a jar of it at my shop at work. I'll check in the morning and I will bring to Dover. Ed
              ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

You cheap bastard. You should buy some so the rest of us can borrow it from you.

Comment

Working...
                X